Wednesday, September 09, 2009

THE JUROR

Author: George Dawes Green
Genre: Thriller, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 2/5 (not enjoyable)
Yearly Count: 108



Please Note: While being thankful for the opportunity to receive and listen to this audiobook, I feel the need to post the blurb from its cover. However, in my opinion there is usually too much disclosed. Read at your own discretion.


From the audiobook box cover:

Annie Laird is Juror 224, a sculptor struggling to raise a son on her own. Summoned to what looks like a routine tour of civic duty. Annie soon discovers that this is no ordinary trial. It is a mob case whose outcome has been meticulously orchestrated by a cold, calculating mastermind. Known only as The Teacher, he promises Annie that her child will be safe, her career will flourish, and her friends will remain alive - if she says two words: not guilty. But as she is stalked, seduced, and terrorized by this man of insidious power and deadly precision. Annie will be driven to make a shocking decision - one that may cost her everything . . ..

I discovered that this audiobook was an abridged version after accepting the offer; therefore, my thoughts are abridged and unfair to the novel and author.

I was very interested in the beginning and enjoyed the trial. The major conflict in the story was intriguing, as well; however, the abridged narration made a seemingly good plot come off like a group of people who thought they were tough and wanted to play gangsters. In general, I felt like all I got was the outsides of an Oreo - just the cookie with no stuff in the middle to hold the pieces together. All that missing stuff is vital to making the read/listen a full experience. That's why it was written in the first place. Needless to say, it was disappointing and has reassured me in my decision to not listen to abridged audiobooks. No fault of the author - I don't think I would be pleased if someone chopped up my writing.






Thank you, Anna, from Hachette Audio for providing me with this audiobook.

7 comments:

  1. I have the book to read. I'm hoping the fact that they abridged this is what caused it to be unenjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I found this comment on the wrong post.

    Diane said...
    Sorry this one did not work out for you. I'm not a fan of abridged audio books. It's so obvious that so much gets cut out of them LOL

    5:49 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually listen to abridged versions mostly because I can't afford the entire audio book. But the abridgements I listened to have usually been approved by the author and, with a few exceptions, I haven't minded it. Besides, they are shorter and fit into my trips to see my grandson very well. But I will avoid this one, thanks to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never fully understood why they abridge adult books? I do understand why they do it for children's books. Maybe Hachette will send you the real deal next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little BBAW love for you: http://trishsbooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/bbaw-adoration.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Framed ~ I read on the box that this was approved by the author. :( You may enjoy it being that you are more familiar with abridged versions - ya never know. I understand the convenience of abridged versions, but I miss the stuff.

    Staci ~ I've listened to only a couple abridged versions and have not enjoyed the experience each time. They are just not for me.

    Trish ~ AwwwwwwwwwwwweTHANKS, Trish! I hope to get to your blog tomorrow to post some comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bermudaonion ~ I look forward to your thoughts. I'm thinking the abridgment played a big role.

    Diane ~ I feel that way, too. They seem very rushed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!