Tuesday, September 15, 2009

THE MAZE RUNNER

Author: James Dashner
Genre: YA Science Fiction, Trilogy #1
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 3.25/5 (better than just okay)
Yearly Count: 110



Please Note: While being thankful for the opportunity to receive and read this ARC, I feel the need to post the blurb from its cover. However, in my opinion there is usually too much disclosed. Read at your own discretion.


From the ARC cover:

When Thomas wakes up in the life, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recollection of his parents, his home, or how he got where he is. His memory is blank.

But he's not alone. When the life's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as long as they can remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, for just as long, they've closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the life. And no one ants to be stuck in the maze after dark.

The Gladers were expecting Thomas's arrival. But the next day, a girl is sent up - the first girl ever to arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. The Gladers have always been convinced that if they can solve the maze that surrounds the Glade, they might find their way home . . . wherever that may be. But it's looking more and more as if the maze is unsolvable.

And something about the girl's arrival is starting to make Thomas feel different. Something is telling his that he just might have some answers - if he can only find a way to retrieve the dark secrets locked within his own mind.

I can see this trilogy going BIG. The thrill that the book creates in its suspense is enticing and one that I think people will thoroughly enjoy. I, however, have reservations about continuing. Unfortunately, both the fact that it's a YA book and that the plot emphasized science fiction significantly affected my pleasure in reading.

By nature, I'm not a fan of science fiction; however, I have been swayed a time or two. And, there were parts that I loved, but others . . . well, let's just say they were prime examples of why I don't like science fiction. Collectively - it fell under the radar for me.

The YA books I have read in the recent past have not made me feel like I was reading YA - this one did. The childish nature of using made-up words put me off the first time one of those words were uttered and continued throughout. I had a difficult time putting those aside and they actually ended up being a huge spoiling point.

The good news - there was a tremendous amount of suspense and intrigue that kept me coming back for more. I absolutely loved ending a chapter with a big event or shocker. My bookmark saved me many times from accidently reading ahead. Props to Dashner for creating such excitement and curiosity in me.

FYI - Technically there isn't any swearing, but the violence steadily increases as the book progresses.






Thank you, Teen Random House for providing me with this ARC. It is scheduled to be released on October 6, 2009.


9 comments:

  1. I actually thought the new slang kinda kept up the feeling of confusion Thomas experiences. I liked how they had different words, since it was kind of a different world - didn't feel like "made-up" words so much as slang. Then again, when I tried to read Feed by M.T. Anderson, I couldn't make it through the first chapter because of the slang.

    Thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be reading this one soon, so I just skimmed. But, it's interesting . . . the reasons you don't plan to continue (YA, sci-fi) make me want to pick it up even sooner! I love YA and it's hard to find great sci-fi. So, I'll consider your review a nudge to get to my copy ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I skipped the summary since I already have this to read. I am glad that you mention it is suspenseful. I think I might like it. I don't really seek out sci-fi, but depending on how it's done it might not be a deal breaker for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right - I think this trilogy is going to be big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:29 PM

    Your review along with the few others I have read made me think I could skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of Dashner's work yet, but I'm not overly eager.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read this one. I have to admit I'm not a fan of made up words either in sci-fi, especially in place of swear words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know James personally and so I'm interested to see how I like this one. I already "hear" his voice in the other books I've read by him, so I wonder if that will be the case again. I've seen rave reviews of this one and I do hope, for his sake, that it goes huge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa ~ The made-up words just seemed plain silly to me since there was no other change in their language. I wish I could have seen those words in a better light like you did because I could have possibly enjoyed it more.

    Bookfool ~ Oh, I love YA, but not when it feels like YA. Now sci-fi, that's another story. I'm glad that what I said has encouraged you to get to it sooner rather than later. :)

    Nicole ~ I hope you love it, Nicole. The suspense is done very well. I really enjoyed that part.

    Bermudaonion ~ I'm curious to see what happens with it. So far, I've seen a range, but more positive than not, for sure.

    Stacybuckeye ~ Don't skip it on my account. I often don't think the same as others regarding sci-fi.

    Booklogged ~ This is the only one I've read. I don't even know if sci-fi is what he usually writes.

    Nicola ~ I'm looking forward to your thoughts!!!

    Maw Books ~ I wish that I was raving about it. But, I do hope it goes big for his sake as well - and I don't know him personally. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!