Friday, October 09, 2009

THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY

Author: Jean-Dominique Bauby
Genre: Memoir, Standalone
Published: 1997
Personal Rating: 2.75/5 (better than eh)
Yearly Count: 119



Note: Sharing my thoughts about this book is very difficult; however, I'm going to stay true to myself and post my thoughts honestly like I have done with every other book I have read. People may think of me as cold or insensitive, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Jean-Dominique Bauby, the editor of Elle Magazine, suffered a massive stroke at the age of 43. The stroke left Jean-Dominique paralyzed - except for his left eyelid. That single eyelid provided him the only option for communicating with the outside world.

My heart goes out to Jean-Dominique (JD) and to all those that suffer with "locked-in syndrome." How devastating and frustrating it would be to be trapped in one's own body. I applaud, respect and admire JD for accomplishing such an incredible task - the dictation of a book, letter by letter, with only one eyelid. It's remarkable to say the least. However, I am not rating JD as a man, I am rating my experience reading the book. On the surface, his tenacity is something to aspire to, but the story lacks any deep emotion or passion. There's a tender moment or two, but for the most part he holds himself in check, avoiding any self-pity, but I think in that process he left out his heart.

It's my understanding that the movie is fantastic and one worth seeing many times over. So, I'm going to make a conscience attempt to get the movie and I'm hoping to see what I missed in the book.

10 comments:

  1. I have not read this, but I applaude your honesty! I don't think you sound cold at all. I will keep your thoughts in mind when I do get around to reading it. It will be interesting to see if I feel the same way.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lezlie ~ Phew! Thank you. :) I can just feel the animosity towards my thoughts by other readers that praise this book, but I mean no harm with my thoughts. You can read it in one short sitting, so go for it. :) I'd like to know what your opinion is on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:51 PM

    I have this one is my stack for the read-a-thon since it is a short one. I wonder if I'll feel the same way? Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, Joy. As Lezlie said, you did not come across as mean or cold at all. :-) I once had a similar problem when trying to rate a Holocaust memoir that wasn't especially well written.

    I read this book years ago and remember liking it. How much exactly, I couldn't tell you. I haven't seen the movie but I do want to. Like you, I've heard it's very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book on the shelf at work, but had no idea what it was about. I appreciate your honesty and don't think you are at all cold or insensitive. I think some memoirs can come off a bit sterile and it's no fault of the reader if they don't make a connection. I've given up on one this past month for very much the same reason.

    Keep us posted on the movie. I may want to rent it if you think it's worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacybuckeye ~ It's perfect for the read-a-thon, Stacy! I think I anticipated a lot, so if your expectations are lowered a bit, you may have better luck.

    Literary Feline ~ Thank you. :) Isn't it much more difficult to rate a memoir than a fiction book?! The personal aspect really tugs at the heart strings.

    BTW - I think I have 8 posts of yours to catch up on! Ahhh!

    Les ~ There are some moments of deep emotion, but very few. I just expected something totally different. Actually I remember one that I can still feel now - ugh. It's not a heartless book, but I really think he held back.

    I'll leave a comment here after I've seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to read an honest review! I really, really liked it when I read it, but I can't even remember what was in it. All I remember is the incredible feat that this man accomplished, as well as the horror of even contemplating 'locked-in syndrome'. I'm curious about the movie, although I can't imagine how they could extend the book to that length...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanna ~ Yeah, I wondered about the length, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think sometimes it's hard to separate out our feelings for a book when they are tied to something like this (it's like reading a book about the Holocaust that might not have spoken to you but because of the subject matter...you know?). Thanks for your honesty, you know we all appreciate it. And no, of course you don't sound cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trish ~ It is hard to separate - I agree. I'm glad you didn't come away with a cold feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!