Thursday, October 08, 2009

UNDISCOVERED GYRL

Author: Allison Burnett
Genre: YA Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 118



Please Note: While being thankful for the opportunity to receive and read this ARC, I feel the need to post the blurb from its cover. However, in my opinion there is usually too much disclosed. Read at your own discretion.


From the ARC Cover:

Only on the internet can you have so many friends and be so lonely.


* We're all famous in our own minds.

* Complete honesty is a complete lie.

* What's worse than keeping a shameful secret?

* All s*x has consequences, most of them dire.

* Don't read my life. Go live your own!

I'm not exactly sure what I really liked about this book. It could be the realism portrayed in Katie, the gossipy nature, the connection with blogging, the draw into Katie's emotional roller-coaster, the epistolary format (blogging dates), the secondary characters, the humor, the risky behavior, the fact that I learned to like Katie, etc. In truth, I think it's a little bit of everything.

What I didn't like was the s*x scenes. I don't believe that all the details needed to be spelled out. However, after a while I felt like I knew Katie, so her behavior became expected and accepted . . . because that was Katie, and she was the one telling the story. (I remembered that it was a book after all, so it was okay to accept it from a fictional character.) Anyway, I was always looking for the good in her and hoping for the best for her.

This was quite a book. I am left with many emotions (just finished it) and sadly think that it's probably a very scary truth.






Thank you, Vintage Books for sending me this ARC.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting format. I have so many young adult books on my shelves that I'm going to pass on this on. But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Framed ~ I had a hard time putting this book down, and I've been thinking about it all afternoon. I like a book to fill me with an emotion (or two) - and this one did just that. Overall I'm surprised at my reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:07 AM

    Interesting concept and great review. I'll ahve to look for this at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacybuckeye ~ Tomorrow is game day!!!

    Okay, back to books.

    I'm curious as to your reaction, so I hope you read it. It's an extremely fast read - does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book left me feeling lots of emotions, too. I hope the young women of today aren't like Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bermudaonion ~ This book surprised me. I think I found Katie intriguing because she is virtually opposite of me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!