Monday, October 12, 2009

THE LAST EMBER ~ Mr. Joy's Thoughts

Author: Daniel Levin
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Mr. Joy's Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Guest Appearances: 2



Please Note: While being thankful for the opportunity to receive and read this ARC, I feel the need to post the blurb from its cover. However, in my opinion there is usually too much disclosed. Read at your own discretion.


From the ARC cover:

A secret that reaches back millennia. A desperate search for a legendary relic. A fanatic's quest to erase the past.

When fragments of a stone map of ancient Rome mysteriously resurface, Jonathan Marcus, a young lawyer and a former classics scholar, reluctantly reunites with a former friend from his students days at the American Academy in Rome to search for clues to the location of the fabled Tabernacle Menorah, a priceless historical artifact taken from Jerusalem 2,000 years ago. but as they search, so, too, does the mysterious Salah ad-Din, a radical bent on erasing all remnants of Jewish and Christian presence from the Temple Mount.

What follows is a treasure hunt like no other, a race to control a historical perspective and determine who can define - or redefine - the past. By turns a riveting page-turner and a compelling character study set in the high-stakes worlds of art, politics, and terrorism. The last Ember is a gripping literary thriller that explores the deadly world of illicit antiquity excavation and ancient intrigue.

Once I got past all the Italian names and locations, this turned out to be a fun book. There was a lot of action and intrigue along with a splash of romance. The plot to erase history was an interesting idea and with all the mysterious societies and historic references, it had a Da Vinci Code feel to it. This is an author with a promising future, and I look forward to his next book.


Thanks go to Riverhead Books for providing this ARC. The Last Ember was released on August 6, 2009.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you can get Mr. Joy to write a review for you! It takes me a little while to get into books with unusual names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time with names in North of Calcutta. Glad that you enjoyed this one and it does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:59 PM

    I really liked this one too. I had the same issue with the names. Great review, Mr. Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had some difficulty with the names, but it was definitely worth it! I love this genre and am a huge fan of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bermudaonion ~ He actually read this months ago, and I finally got him to write one up. I told him, "Just a few layman's sentences will do." So that's what I got. :) I only "make" him do it for the books that I get from publishers for him.

    Staci ~ I'm glad he liked it. I'm not interested in it though.

    Stacybuckeye ~ He thanks you. :)

    Sansom ~ Mr. Joy definitely would read more by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed it! I have a copy of this I need to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:00 PM

    Made it to my TBR list!! Thanks Mr. Joy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris ~ My husband read it. I don't have any interest in reading this one, but he thought it was very good.

    Danielle ~ Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!