Tuesday, October 27, 2009

MONSTER

Author: Walter Dean Myers
Genre: YA Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2001
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Yearly Count: 128



Sixteen-year-old Steve Harmon is accused of murder that took place during a botched up robbery. As an aspiring filmmaker, he reveals his court case through a movie script format.

I liked the format of the story and the trial itself, but I would have liked it to contain a little more depth and length. It was a very short and simple book. It leaves you with things to ponder, though.

8 comments:

  1. Wonder if my daughter would like this one. She's an inspiring filmmaker, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booklogged ~ LOL at myself! Your daughter may be inspiring, but Steve was aspiring. :) As you can see on the cover it has won awards, and it is used in high school classes. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly think that it has a lot of depth, especially for an 8th grader and up to understand. This is one of the books that I always go to for an older boy who is a reluctant reader. Once they read this one, then they usually read Shooter and anything else on my library shelves by Walter Dean Myers. Excellent review on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read any Walter Dean Meyers. I remember noticing The Young Landlords on the bookstore shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staci ~ Good point regarding the target audience. :)

    Charley ~ This was good and interesting - just not long enough. That's funny coming from someone who loves short stories. Go figure. :)

    *Pause*

    Maybe it's not the length afterall. However, I feel like something is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Booklogged ~ I just realized that I didn't explain myself completely. My post had the word "inspiring," but I fixed it to what I really meant - "aspiring" after reading your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:06 AM

    I like the short YA books, but sometimes they are filling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacybuckeye ~ Yep! They can be nice breaks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!