Monday, October 26, 2009

SUCH A PRETTY GIRL

Author: Laura Wiess
Genre: YA Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2006
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 127


Meredith, a 15-year-old, is petrified when she learns that her father is being released from prison for child abuse, and at the same time, her mother is thrilled.

This story had me intrigued right from the start until the very end with its predator and prey scenario. It was told in very realistic terms, yet not with all the nitty-gritty details. For the most part, the characters were believable, as well as most of the plot. My one complaint is that there were a few times when I wasn't sure what time period Meredith was describing - now or back when she was a young child - little confusing. Other than that, it was a solid, good read. I will be seeking out more novels by Laura Wiess.

11 comments:

  1. The synopsis sounds horrifying! Poor Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of Laura Wiess before so thanks, Joy, for the introduction. This book has an interesting premise. I would be scared too, if I was Meredith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a Laura Weiss book and it was a nice, quick read but I got so angry at one of the characters for getting herself into a terrible situation that I've never picked up another. This one sounds scary, too. She tackles hard subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bermudaonion ~ Exactly.

    Booklogged ~ She has written 3, this being her first. She's writes similarly to Dessen, Hopkins, Anderson, etc. - very important topics.

    Bookfool ~ This was a quick read and a hard subject as well. It wasn't perfect (in other words, it wasn't 100% realistic), however, I liked the inner dialog of Meredith and wanted to know how it was going to turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the only book that I've read of hers. I remember liking it and will certainly want to read her other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very interesting! I hadn't heard of this author before. Why on earth would the mother be thrilled?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci ~ I'll come by and see if you posted about it.

    Nicola ~ Read it and find out! Tee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one on my to-read list, but I've not read anything by this author before. I like that you found it a "solid, good read." Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:30 AM

    What a horrifying plot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness it seems forever since I've been by. With the dog and my dad having troubles my blog reading has fallen by the wayside. I love your new blog header-it's so nice.

    I've heard a lot about this book. I've had it on my lookout list. Glad to hear it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alisonwonderland ~ HI! Nice to see you again! :) I hope you get to it. I think it is worth a read.

    Stacybuckeye ~ I know! I felt like her reaction was believable without being boring or over the top.

    Dar ~ I totally understand the inability to visit. There's just not enough time to do everything we want to do. However, your visit means you didn't delete me from your blogroll (and/or Google Reader), and I'm sooooo happy about that! :)

    As for my header - thanks. But, who puts flowers up when winter is coming!?! LOL I thought it was pretty, so went with it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!