Wednesday, November 25, 2009

SWEETHEARTS


Author: Sara Zarr

Genre: YA, Standalone
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (better than good)
Yearly Count: 137



Jennifer and Cameron are both outcasts in elementary school. They develop a friendship and understand each other, until one day Cameron is gone - presumed dead at the age of 9. Jennifer suffers his loss, but eventually is able to create a new life for herself when her family moves to a new town.

I liked this. It was a somewhat quiet book, but it had a huge suspense component. I listened to it in one fell swoop (as I was preparing Thanksgiving dinner) and quickly grew to like the characters. They all were realistic, as was the story line. I believe Zarr captured the essence of many high schoolers - yes, there's drama, but this didn't portray anything over the top. This was the first book I have read by her and anticipate many good reads ahead.

5 comments:

  1. I added Story of a Girl to my list after reading this book, but I have yet to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know lots of people love Zarr's work, but I haven't tried it yet. This sounds like a great one to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:48 PM

    I like the sound of this one. Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything by Zarr yet, but attended a session at the Utah Book Festival where she and Shannon Hale shared the spotlight. I was impressed and bought two of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charley ~ I had Story of a Girl on my TBR list before this one, but this is the one that appeared in my hands first. :)

    Bermudaonion ~ I hope to get to more of them!

    Stacybuckeye ~ Zarr appears to have a good reputation. I'm thinking you'll like it.

    Booklogged ~ Books seem so much more special when I meet the author. Does that happen to you?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!