Sunday, November 01, 2009

THOSE DEEP ELM BROWN'S FERRY BLUES (6 of 13)

Author: William Gay
Genre: Short Story Collection
Published: I Hate to See That Evening Sun Go Down, 2002
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (better than good)
(ss) Yearly Count: 53


An older man who is losing the ability to think clearly is living with his son. The son's concerns are steadily increasing.

This was a sad one (a sad one? really?!), both the father and the son are enduring difficult circumstances and wonder about their future. There were some very important descriptive scenes that I thought were well done. They really gave a clear sense of the confusion the father was experiencing. The ending was a troubling surprise.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, note to self: don't read Joy's reviews in google reader right after taking a sip of water! I need to get a towel and wipe off my keyboard, lady!!!
    Go figure, a sad short story, LOL. Thanks, Joy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary ~ Actually all the stories in this collection are dreary in some sort of way. His writing is good, but the blah is somewhat getting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it with short stories being dreary/sad/depressing? I just don't understand why that seems to be true for every collection I've ever read. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!