Sunday, February 14, 2010

THE BRICKLAYER

Author: Noah Boyd
Genre: Thriller, Standalone?
Published: 2010
Personal Rating: 4.25/5 (better than very good)
Yearly Count: 11



The Bricklayer, Steve Vail, is a fired FBI agent whose services are requested to help find a missing agent.

I really enjoyed this thriller! Vail is a fabulous, intriguing character. The workings of his mind and the timing of his wit were both compelling factors for me, and that doesn't even include the actual plot! The intelligent plot contained non-stop action and wasn't extremely off the reality chart, which is a very good thing for me. But, best of all, I was engaged from the beginning and didn't want to disengage. It's always a delight to be so engrossed in a book that you don't want to put it down. And, for those that wonder, yes - there is a strong female role as well.

What a terrific debut by Boyd! I hope to see more of him - hopefully showcasing Steve Vail.

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, a new thriller author - sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:00 PM

    This one sounds good, Joy. Thanks for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could stand to read a good thriller to get the old heart pumping. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bermudaonion ~ Yes!!! I stumbled upon the book (last one left) at Barnes & Noble. I had a gift card, so it became mine! :) I'm soooo happy that it turned out to be a winner.

    Kay ~ It's a recent release. I'm so glad I found it. I will definitely pick up another book by him.

    Framed ~ Hi! I'm reading another thriller now called Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay. It's scheduled to be released in March, I think. He has quickly become a favorite of mine. This is my third book by him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of this one. I'm putting it on my to-read list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alisonwonderland ~ I had't either until I stumbled upon it at Barnes & Noble. It was a good find! Unfortunately, it'll probably be quite some time before a new one comes along. BTW - it's great to see you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacybuckeye ~ Since reading this book, I had read a few reviews in which they thought the character Vail was too perfect. There were times of "perfect timing" on his part and maybe he was "too smart" on occasion, but I liked him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!