Thursday, February 25, 2010

SECRETS OF EDEN

Author: Chris Bohjalian
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2010
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Yearly Count: 16



Secrets of Eden is about domestic violence. The story is told through the eyes of the neighborhood preacher, an author who wrote a book about angels, the state attorney and the 15-year-old daughter who is a witness to some of the abuse.

My main reason for reading this was because it was written by Chris Bohjalian, and I have a lot of respect for him. I find him to be a man of integrity. Also, I find that his writing has unique characteristics, and I enjoy it.

Secrets of Eden maintained the Bohjalian feel, so I wasn't disappointed in that respect. I was, however, not jumping for joy for this story as it was being revealed. I did like the variety of narrators, but I didn't care for the author's book. Nothing against the topic of angels, but it just didn't appeal to me. I felt it placed a hokey aspect to the novel. Other than that, it was very good. I did solve the puzzle towards the end, but it was fun to find out if I was correct.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:48 AM

    I still have not read any books by this author. I keep meaning to. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the (angels). She could have been a mentor to the girl without the angel focus. Despite this I liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still anxious to read this, even though it wasn't your favorite book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Bohjalain's Skeletons at the Feast for book club and I'm enjoying it so far. I like his books for the same reasons you noted, but have a few more (of his) to read before I get to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished Secrets of Eden this morning. I generally feel the same way you felt about it, although I thought the angel stuff was more interesting than hokey. I do love Bohjalian's work as a whole, and I'm glad to have read this latest of his novels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kay ~ So far, I like Skeleton's at the Feast the best.

    Diane ~ Exactly! But, I guess that was the draw for the preacher.

    Bermudaonion ~ It was still very good. I would have rated it higher if the angel stuff wasn't so prevalent.

    Les ~ I really liked that one, Les. I think I have 3 more on my TBR Shelf, so I'm way behind too. :)

    Alisonwonderland ~ I wish I didn't dislike the angel talk because it was a good book. He has his own style doesn't he.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:41 PM

    Not sure this is one I want to read after seeing your thoughts. Angels have to be perfectly done or else they are hokey. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacybuckeye ~ I hope you read many other opinions on the "angel aspect" of the book before deciding not to read it. I would hate to turn you away from a potentially great book for you. Alisonwonderland didn't think it was hokey. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!