Thursday, March 18, 2010

MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL

Author: John Berendt
Genre: True Crime, Standalone
Published: 1994
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (better than good)
Yearly Count: 22



Historic Savannah, Georgia is the setting of this travelogue/murder mystery/gossipy book. It is tailored around the beauty of the city and its unique individuals - including a wealthy middle-aged man who murders his part-time, 21-year-old companion.

I wasn't ever bored with this story, but I wasn't enthralled with it either. It was definitely a character-driven book, but it encompassed the intrigue and ominous aura that a murder brings. The community does have its share of unusual people and their passion for keeping their city "as is" was prevalent.

I've had the opportunity to visit Savannah several times, but just haven't taken the step to make it happen. This book has revitalized the desire to visit, so the next time the opportunity arises - I'm there! :)

10 comments:

  1. Oh you have to go to Savannah and take the Gray Line tour - the book will come alive for you then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:25 PM

    I'm going to Savannah the first week in May - come along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has been on my list for a while. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book, though it has been many years since I read it. The movie is good too, with the music of Johnny Mercer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Savannah is one of my all time favorite cities...right up there with Charleston...I used to visit a lot when I lived in Augusta Georgia. I have wanted to read this book for several years...as soon as I finish the Historian I will get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, you should certainly visit Savannah. It makes this book seem much less fantastical when you see that all of these characters are perfectly real!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a book that I've always meant to read but never gotten around to. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this book in my stacks for AGES! My husband read and enjoyed it. I've just never gotten around to it. Maybe I need to plan a trip to Savannah so I'll be inspired to read the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was SUCH a good book! I don't read many non-fiction books, but I was glad to make an exception with this. Highly colorful people and a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bermudaonion ~ I'd love to. Maybe one day!

    Lynne ~ Lucky-duck! Make sure you post about it. Did you read the book?

    Charley ~ It's a worthy read. I think you'd like it.

    Nan ~ Another book made into a movie that I need to see. :)

    Danielle ~ Oh yes - this would be a must read for you, especially if you already are familiar with it.

    Pamela Terry and Edward ~ I hope to. I'm disappointed that I never took advantage of my opportunities years ago. Thanks for commenting.

    Darlene ~ I love reading about true crime, so that was the draw for me.

    Les ~ That sounds like a good plan. Pick me up along the way. :)

    Vickie ~ I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I'm glad I read/listened to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!