Saturday, March 13, 2010

PICTURES OF HOLLIS WOODS

Author: Patricia Reilly Giff
Genre: YA Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2002
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 21



Hollis Woods is a notorious runaway - a runaway from foster homes. She is 12-years-old and has not been able to find a home that fits her needs. She tells her story in the present and through the description of pictures of the summer past.

Hollis was a great character. I found her to be a loving, little girl. Even though this was a fast YA read, it had depth and suspense. Wanting to know what really happened during that particular summer was the driving force for me to read this in virtually one sitting. A delightful book - one for tweens and adults alike.

7 comments:

  1. If I remember right, this one sort of made me teary-eyed in the end. Great book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another awesome review Joy! I think this one may be my favorite from her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read my first Patricia Reilly Giff book not long ago and really enjoyed it, so I bet I would like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suey ~ I can see how it would. I'm surprised at how much I did like it. Not sure why, but I am.

    Staci ~ I must read more! I really enjoyed her style of writing. Hollis was so real.

    Bermudaonion ~ I know you would like this one, Bermudaonion. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on a Hallmark show, and it was terrific!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1057512/
    Sadly, it isn't on dvd. I don't know why the Hallmark shows are so hard to find after they've been on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read this author, but you've convinced me I need to give her a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nan ~ Thanks for the link. It was on in 2007! I'd really like to see it, though. Actually there's a lot on Hallmark that I'd like to see. I loved the Jeanette Oke books and know they were on that station too. Maybe I should start recording them.

    Bookfool ~ This was my first and I really enjoyed it. Hope when you get to it, you do too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!