Thursday, April 08, 2010

WHO BY FIRE

Author: Diana Spechler
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 2/5 (not enjoyable)
Yearly Count: 29



Ellie - the mother, Bits - the daughter and Ash - the son narrate their lives chapter by chapter for the duration of almost a year and a half. Could their lives be reflecting the anguish and blame they feel about the kidnapping of their daughter/younger sister thirteen years ago?

I just don't get it. This book is rated a 5/5 with 40 reviews on Amazon. There are only 4 that rated it something other than a 5. Well . . . I'm standing with the lonely 4. I actually struggled reading approximately 75% of the book! It seemed like everything that happened was to the extreme, and I didn't like any of the characters. Then when I thought something good happened - I was way off base. ??? Grrr - another book bites the dust.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry this didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ Me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how disappointing. I guess it happens to all of us from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for always posting such honest reviews, Joy. Life is too short. I'll pass on this one until someone I know convinces me otherwise. And they'll have to do a really good job of convincing me. I trust your opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it was just you Joy. I'm not positive but I think I gave this one a 3. I did not like Bits one bit...no pun intended!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you, Joy. I am one of the ones who loved it and gave it a high rating (4.5, I think). It had so many elements I love in a book and it worked for me. Hopefully your next book will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane ~ I know, but don't you just want to love everything you pick up?

    Les ~ As I do yours! :)

    Staci ~ LOL I'm going to see if I have your email address. I want to ask you a question.

    Literary Feline ~ It's pretty sad when so many people love it and I don't. I truly am glad that you did, though. I'd much rather be in your camp.

    I just started two books and so far I like them both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't care for this book either Joy but I don't think I wrote a review. I would have rated it a 2 also. I didn't care for any of the characters or the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie ~ Hi there! This may be one of those books that people either love or hate. I think those that loved it were pretty much the only ones that rated it on Amazon, which gave me the illusion that it was fantastic. :( I am happy for those that loved it, just wish I did too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are many books that I pick up that are recommended and I can't even finish them. Fortunately we are all different with different tastes.
    Ann
    Ann Summerville
    Cozy In Texas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cozy in Texas ~ Yes, I'm glad we are not clones of one another. That would be bad. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!