Monday, August 23, 2010

TOO CLOSE TO HOME

Author: Linwood Barclay
Genre: Thriller, Standalone
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 3.5 (good)
Yearly Count: 75



Derek Cutter's best friend and neighbor, Adam Langley, is brutally killed along with his parents on the evening they were leaving for vacation. Derek was in the home right before they left - making him the last person to see or talk to the Langleys. Does he have any idea why someone would want to murder this family? That's where the investigation begins.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every Barclay book I have read. He keeps me engaged and always wanting to pick it up. However, this is my least favorite of the 4 that I have had the pleasure of reading.

The story line was a bit contrived and the connections between characters were just too unrealistically entangled. And, the casual use of swear words between Derek and his parents was eye-rolling ridiculous. Regardless, I was still curious and enjoyed it, but it wasn't Barclay's best. A new thought: Maybe it was Christopher Lane (audiobook narrator) that kept me coming back for more. I don't know, but I sure do like him. :)

6 comments:

  1. I've never tried Barclay's work, but it sounds like I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get a crush on some narrator...almost every time I try an audio book the reader turns me off!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed this author in the past, but sounds like this was just so so. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the very first book I read by him! Luckily, I liked it more than you did :-) so that I've kept on reading him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this author on my WWBL, not read him yet. Thanks to your review, I won't start with this one. I'll try something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bermudaonion ~ He seems to be an author I can count on.

    Staci ~ LOL I think all the books I've listened to by Barclay have been read by C.L. and others as well. I have to make sure I listen to others in-between because it's easy to get the characters mixed up with the same voice.

    Bibliophile By the Sea ~ Yep - so, so. However, I still consider him a favorite.

    Nicola ~ Well, then - you have a lot of fun ahead of you! :)

    Vickie ~ I think you'll enjoy his work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!