Friday, September 17, 2010

THE HOME FRONT (3 of 19)

Author: Charles Ardai
(Edited by Harlan Coben)
Genre: Short Story Collection
Published: Death Do Us Part, 2006
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
(ss) Yearly Count: 23


A WWII federal agent is aggressively doing his job and accidentally causes the death of a detainee. His actions create an avalanche upon his life.

Oh gosh. The wording at the end caused me to pause and reread so that I could fully comprehend what happened. It wasn't that it was difficult to get the first time, I just wasn't positive. So other than that little glitch, it was a very good story, and it kept me engrossed. It won the Edgar award in 2007 for best short story.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty interesting actually. After just completing a book of short stories I'm more attuned to them now and would give them another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci ~ I think I'm liking this collection. I still have 16 more to go, but it has started out well. :)

    I know you didn't ask, but . . .

    If you like Southern stories, you might want to try Chemistry and Other Stories (Rash). I thought that collection was excellent. Every story was very unique and drew me in.

    Another Southern collection I thought was very good was Ford County (Grisham). I am partial to him, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:10 PM

    The edited by Harlan Coben caught my eye. I'm always looking for ss I muight enjoy. Thanks for the other recommendations too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacybuckeye ~ With Harlan Coben as the editor of short stories, and it being at a close-out price - I had to order this book! I'm really happy with it so far. It's been a while since reading one, so I must do that soon. Just talking about these ss gets me excited to pick it up again. :)

    The actual title of the book is:
    Death Do Us Part
    New Stories About Love, Lust and Murder
    2006

    You would recognize many of the authors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!