Wednesday, September 15, 2010

HOW I LIVE NOW

Author: Meg Rosoff
Genre: YA Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2006 (US)
Personal Rating: 2/5 (not enjoyable)
Yearly Count: 83


Daisy, a 15-year-old, arrives in England to stay the summer at her Aunt's house in the country. She explains what happened during her stay.

What?! I don't understand why this won an award in the UK (equivalent to the Newbery here in the US). There were many issues that were explored (some more than others) that I felt were inappropriate or not handled in a proper manner, and I wondered why they were part of the plot in the first place. There was a semi-interesting story going on around the issues that kept me listening. BTW - this is considered a YA novel. Oh dear.

6 comments:

  1. Well, there are those who say that YA just means the protagonist is a teenager, so maybe that's why it's classified that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ There weren't any explicit details about any of the issues, except maybe one or two comments, so overall they were mild in that respect. It's more about how they were handled or not handled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The subject matter is too creepy (in a YA book) for me to have gone near this one. And your review lets me know I've made the right choice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicola ~ In my opinion, you made the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't rate this one quite as low as you did, but I was also not as impressed as I thought I'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri B. ~ I'll have to come by and see what you thought. I simply didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!