Wednesday, September 29, 2010

WHITER THAN SNOW

Author:  Sandra Dallas
Genre:  Historical Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2010  
Personal Rating:  3/5 (just okay)
Yearly Count:  87




Many families in a Colorado mining town (1920) band together when an avalanche engulfs their children.

This almost received lower than a 3 due to the choppiness of the story.  I would just start getting attached to the characters and then the story line would abruptly switch to another family.  That happened many times over.  However, I couldn't go any lower in my rating, because I really did enjoy some of the individual family stories and the historical setting Dallas created.  So - not a great read, but not a bad one either.




3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Dallas and liked this one but not as much as her other books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is what I loved about the book, Joy! The little vignettes into each family leading up to the disaster at the end.

    Sorry you weren't so fond of it, though. But for my first Sandra Dallas, it looks like I have some much better books to read ahead of me because I know you've enjoyed some of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci ~ I liked it, but it was too choppy for me.

    Nicola ~ I'm not a big fan of flashbacks, so that in itself was a negative. Also, I didn't think the ending was all that great because my connections with the characters were thwarted! :)

    My favorite Dallas novels are The Diary of Mattie Spencer and Tallgrass. You may want to see if either of those interest you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!