Saturday, January 29, 2011

THE RULES OF SURVIVAL

Author:  Nancy Werlin
Genre: YA Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2008  
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  8


Seventeen-year-old Matt narrates a letter to his 5-year-old step-sister Emmy about the trials and tribulations that they experienced as a family living with their psychotic mother, Nikki.

The characters are very realistic, and I loved the voice that Nancy Werlin gave Matt.  At times, he was wise beyond his years.  I experienced a host of emotions during this read, but the greatest was sympathy for the children.  Wanting to reach out and help them was foremost in my mind.  I really enjoyed the way in which the story was told.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like it could be a fairly disturbing read. If you had given it a 4+ rating, I think I might have been persuaded to give it a read. With just a "good" rating, I'm not so sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les ~ If I rated it a 4+, I would have encouraged you to read it. :) I did enjoy it, but to me it just wasn't much more than good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She wrote another book that I've been meaning to read.

    BTW..I don't know why my reader on the side doesn't update when you post..sorry for missing so many!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci ~ No apology necessary, Staci. I'm thankful for whenever you choose to comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!