Sunday, April 10, 2011

A LESSON IN SECRETS

Author:  Jacqueline Winspear
Genre:  Mystery, Maisie Dobbs Series #8
Published:  2011
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format:  eBook - iPad
Yearly Count:  23



From the Publisher:


In the summer of 1932, Maisie Dobbs’ career goes in an exciting new direction when she accepts an undercover assignment directed by Scotland Yard’s Special Branch and the Secret Service. Posing as a junior lecturer, she is sent to a private college in Cambridge to monitor any activities “not in the interests of His Majesty’s Government.”

When the college’s controversial pacifist founder and principal, Greville Liddicote, is murdered, Maisie is directed to stand back as Detective Chief Superintendent Robert MacFarlane and Detective Chief Inspector Stratton spearhead the investigation. She soon discovers, however, that the circumstances of Liddicote’s death appear inextricably linked to the suspicious comings and goings of faculty and students under her surveillance.


To unravel this web, Maisie must overcome a reluctant Secret Service, discover shameful hidden truths about Britain’s conduct during the war, and face off against the rising powers of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei—the Nazi Party—in Britain
.

It took me approximately 5 weeks to read this eGalley, but it had nothing to do with the book itself.  I started it at a time of busy, busy, busy and just wasn't able to give it any attention.  I finally finished up today!  And, I'm happy to say that it was another solid story/mystery by Winspear and continues to be one of my favorite series that I've loved right from the start.  I can't believe this one is #8!

The timeframe being set between WWI and WWII adds a historical, educational component that I love, just as much as Maisie and her family/friends.  Not being a history buff, I consider that a very good thing! Also, Maisie grows in knowledge and maturity as the series continues (as well as the other characters), and I have been enjoying every aspect.





My thanks go to HarperCollins and NetGalley for sending me this eGalley.


8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:51 PM

    I keep meaning to continue reading this series. So far, I've only read the first one. There are just too many series that I want to check out and then there's all the other books! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've read a bad thing about this series. I need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book on my shelves and am really looking forward to reading it although I would be starting in the middle of the series. Hopefully that won't matter too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay ~ Oh I know! There are many that I would like to try as well.

    Bermudaonion ~ This is a quiet, cozy mystery series that is simply done very well. I'm not a huge fan of cozies, but this is a favorite. I hope you get the opportunity to read it.

    Samantha.1020 ~ Eek! I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I would start at the beginning for this series. This book may be a little boring for you without knowing Maisie's background. It's more character-driven than mystery. (in this one anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing how much you love this series makes me a bit giddy knowing that I have book one waiting for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci ~ There have been some books in this series that I have loved and the first one was one of them! I truly believe that I have become attached to Maisie; therefore, I just enjoy being in her company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this one in my stacks, too, but I need to catch up first. Next up is #5 (An Incomplete Revenge). I'm glad to hear this series continues to entertain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les ~ It entertains me, that's for sure. :) Like in most series, there are some better than others, but I've always been happy to visit Maisie regardless of the plot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!