Friday, April 08, 2011

NEMESIS

Author:  Philip Roth
Genre:  Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2011
Personal Rating:  3.5/5 (good)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  22



In 1944, Newark, New Jersey has a breakout of polio.  Bucky Cantor, a 23-year-old playground director, struggles with his decision to leave the position for a safe environment or stay with those that he has already committed to.

I've been wanting to read a Philip Roth novel for quite some time.  When I stumbled upon this, I thought a 5 CD audiobook was a great trial piece.

At first, I wasn't too impressed - actually didn't really care one way or another, but as the story continued on, I began to become invested in Bucky.  I liked his character.  He wanted to do good and what was right; however, the plot seemed a little repetitive at times.  The writing is what captured my attention.  I will definitely give him another go with the hopes of a story line that grips me as much as the writing.  However, I have to say that I learned quite a bit about polio, so I'm really glad I picked this one up.

4 comments:

  1. I am totally intimidated by Philip Roth, so I doubt I'll pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ What is his reputation? I've heard comments like yours before. What intimidates you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've read a Roth book either! Sounds like I may need to give him a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci ~ He has written several books on the shorter side, so you have several to choose from. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!