Sunday, May 15, 2011

BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP

Author: S. J. Watson
Genre: Suspense, Standalone
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Format: eBook - iPad
Yearly Count:  38



From NetGalley:

Every morning, Christine awakens beside a stranger in an unfamiliar bed. She sees a middle-aged face in the bathroom mirror that she does not recognize. And every morning, the man patiently explains that he is Ben, her husband, that she is forty-seven-years-old, and that an accident long ago damaged her ability to remember.

In place of memories Christine has a handful of pictures, a whiteboard in the kitchen, and a journal, hidden in a closet. She knows about the journal because Dr. Ed Nash, a neurologist who claims to be treating her without Ben’s knowledge, reminds her about it each day. Inside its pages, the damaged woman has begun meticulously recording her daily events—sessions with Dr. Nash, snippets of information that Ben shares, flashes of her former self that briefly, miraculously appear.

But as the pages accumulate, inconsistencies begin to emerge, raising disturbing questions that Christine is determined to find answers to. And the more she pieces together the shards of her broken life, the closer she gets to the truth . . . and the more terrifying and deadly it is.

This turned out to be a very good debut.  The plot was suspenseful and engaging, and I liked the main character, Christine.  I realize it must be complicated and difficult to write from the perspective of an amnesiac, but there were times when I was a bit annoyed with the repetition (reintroducing Christine to herself).  Also, some events were too convenient or too odd - making it less than realistic.  Needless to say, I really enjoyed it and look forward to his next book.  I'll be watching for it.







My thanks go to HarperCollins and NetGalley for sending me this eGalley. Before I Go to Sleep will be published on
June 1, 2011.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:04 PM

    Joy, I think yours is the first review I've seen of this book. It's been on my radar for some time. Good to hear that the storyline works pretty well. I'll be looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In spite of your quibbles, this sounds quite good and a bit creepy! I'll have to keep my eye out for a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded my first eGalley to my Kindle just an hour ago!! This one sounds interesting..but the constant repetition of Christine might drive me batty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay ~ The story line was what kept it together. I hope you really like it.

    Les ~ You're right, there is a bit of creepiness to it. I like creepy. :)

    Staci ~ YAY! Congratulations! The repetition in this book did drive me a little batty, but I always wanted to know what was going to happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got this one in the mail the other day and I cannot wait to read it! It sound creepy which I'm always in the mood for :) Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samantha.1020 ~ Oh, lucky you! I'm one for creepy any time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:30 PM

    Sounds a lot like See Jane Run by Joy Fielding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacybuckeye ~ I only remember the opening scene in See Jane Run, so I'll take your word for it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!