Thursday, May 26, 2011

GUILT BY ASSOCIATION

Author: Marcia Clark
Genre: Mystery, Rachel Knight Series #1
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Format:  Book/eBook - Kindle
Yearly Count: 41


From the Dust Jacket:

Brilliant and tenacious, DA Rachel Knight lives and breathes her work and disdains office politics--a combustible combination that often gets her into trouble.  She is a stalwart member of the elite Special Trials Unit, a small group of handpicked prosecutors that handles the toughest, most sensitive, and most celebrated cases in the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office.


At the end of a typical ten-hour day, Rachel has her sights set on an ice-cold martini at the Biltmore Hotel, where she lives.  But on her way she's sidetracked by the wail of sirens and the commotion of a crime scene.  Cops swarm around a seedy motel, where Rachel is surprised to discover that Jake, a dear friend and fellow prosecutor, has been murdered.


The suspicious and potentially explosive circumstances of Jake's death are never far from Rachel's thoughts as she takes on her fallen colleague's most politically charged case:  the mysterious assault on a young woman from an influential LA family.  Rachel enlists the help of her best friends and partners in crime-fighting--Toni, a fellow Special Trials prosecutor, and Bailey, a tough-as-nails LAPD detective--to covertly undertake her own investigation into Jake's murder.  Rachel's drive to clear Jake's name exposes a world of power and violence that will have her risking her reputation--and her life--to find the truth.


What a terrific book!  Rachel and Bailey (Marcia Clark, as well!) are strong, intelligent women, and the thought process in which they follow to solve the crimes felt incredibly authentic.  I loved their relationship.  Once I was able to sit down and read more than a page at a time, I didn't want to put the book down.  The writing, which contained a smooth, but intricate plot and details of procedures, was excellent, and the short chapters kept me turning the pages.  I thought Guilt By Association was a solid read throughout and can't wait for the next Rachel Knight case.





My thanks go to Miriam from Mulholland Books and NetGalley for sending me the book and eGalley.

11 comments:

  1. Yay! glad you liked this one. I was quite pleasantly surprised. I'm now looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi ~ I loved it. Everything felt so real: the cases, the characters, the setting, etc. Marcia knows how to write smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:59 PM

    I have been sooooooo wondering about this book....I always look to you for new book additions. Thanks. Right now I am reading The Bronze Horseman....good but predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:11 PM

    I don't think I've read a bad review yet for this book. Looking forward to reading it. It's been a while since I read a good legal mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle ~ I was curious about it, too, and I'm really happy with the outcome. :) I don't know much about TBH because I steer away from "chunksters!" I hope the predictability gets shaken up and something surprises you.

    Kay ~ Well, it's not really a legal mystery. I would consider it more of a police procedural mystery. And, it was better than good! :) For me, it wasn't edge-of-your-seat thriller type excellence, but more along the line of well-written, realistic case solving with very likable characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the 2nd great review I've read of this one. Both came from valued and trusted sources so I will add this to my list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci ~ "Valued and trusted sources" - gosh Staci thanks. I'm glad you feel that way. :) Marcia Clark knows what she writes, and it's obvious. Hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:41 PM

    Can't wait to read this one. I've seen nothing but positive reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacybuckeye ~ I hope it makes for an excellent read for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Off to add this one to my TBR list. It sounds wonderful, especially with your 4.5/5 endorsement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Les ~ I know you'll like it. I just hope it's as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!