Monday, May 30, 2011

IN THE BELLY OF JONAH

Author: Sandra Brannan
Genre: Mystery, Liv Bergen Series #1
Published:  2010
Personal Rating: 4.25/5 (very good +)
Format: Book
Yearly Count:  42


From Sandra Brannan's Website:
In the Belly of Jonah is a fast-paced mystery with a likable protagonist and an intricately woven narrative brimming with bizarre yet believable twists. The first in a series, the book expertly lays the groundwork for Liv Bergen, amateur sleuth, and her love interest, FBI Agent Streeter Pierce.

Liv becomes involved in the investigation of the murder of Jill Brannigan, a summer intern at the limestone mine Liv manages near Fort Collins, Colorado (a breathtaking setting that unwittingly becomes an accessory to crime). In doing so, she inadvertently puts her friends, her family, and herself at risk of being swallowed in the belly of a madman bloated with perverse appetites for women, surrealistic art, and renown.

Perhaps a bit too daring (and at times irreverent) for her own good, “Boots,” as Liv’s eight siblings call her, soon realizes she has a knack for outsmarting and tracking down the Venus de Milo murderer—and she enjoys it! As the gripping plot of In the Belly of Jonah unfolds, Liv Bergen takes her place alongside the best female crime-solvers as a woman with smarts, self-confidence, and intuitive savvy.

This book had my complete attention, and I wanted to turn the pages quickly. The plot and setting were of great interest to me - a serial killer, a college campus and a limestone quarry. Liv, the main character, was likable, but I didn't love her. She was a little too . . . or not enough . . . something. Hopefully whatever it was resolves itself when I meet her again.  There wasn't any romance, but I believe the stage is set.

There were a few things that bothered me within the writing, and my rating reflects them.  One complaint was more of a personal preference within the writing style, and another was the way the FBI behaved - one would expect a little lot more caution. A minor, but specific error I will mention is that the country Colombia was misspelled and that bugged me. Colombia and Columbia are totally two different places!

Despite those glitches, I still consider this a very, very good read. I didn't want to put it down, and I can't wait to pick up the next in the series:  Lot's Return to Sodom. Regarding the Biblical related titles, there are a few references to the Bible, but that is not the focus of the book at all. A handful of swear words and creepy murders are much more prevalent than any message.





My thanks go to Marissa from JKS Communications and Shelf Awareness for sending me this book.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:34 PM

    This one is coming up for me very soon as well. I'm even more interested knowing now that it was a good one for you, Joy. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a real page turner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay ~ Yay is right! :) I really enjoyed reading this and look forward to the second one hopefully sometime in June or July.

    Bermudaonion ~ For me it was! I hope the second is as good or better. It's so much fun getting invested in a series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your review has my attention! I like that this is book one! Sounds like a series worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:05 AM

    Ohh, this looks good. And I just noted tday that I need to read a book set in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci ~ Book 2 is coming out next month and Sandra has two more titles already in the works. It's fun to get in on the ground level. :)

    Stacybuckeye ~ Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci ~ "Next month" meaning tomorrow, June 1.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!