Wednesday, May 11, 2011

TROTSKY


Author:  Rick Geary
Genre:  Graphic Biography, Series
Published:  2009
Personal Rating:  2/5 (not enjoyable)
Format:  Book
Yearly Count:  35


From School Library Journal:
Geary leads readers chronologically through Trotsky's exile by Tsarist Russia, his instrumental part in the Bolshevik Revolution, and his varied roles in foreign affairs during World War I and as leader of the Red Army during a civil war. A key theme is Trotsky's back and forth and back again relationship with Lenin. Lenin's death in 1924 left a void for power-hungry Stalin to seize control and eventually force Trotsky into political exile. He met his death by a Stalinist assassin.

I L-O-V-E Rick Geary's graphic novels. I love his style, his consolidation of facts, his artistic drawings, and much more. However, I now have experienced one that I did not care for at all. It's not Rick's fault, though. I was hoping that all I love about his books would be enough to draw me into the story - one that I really didn't have much interest in to begin with. That was too tall an order to fill. My bad.

4 comments:

  1. I need to check this guy out! Sorry that you didn't care for the material though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci ~ At first I thought you meant Trotsky. After a reread I realized you meant Geary. :) YES! You must read anything he has written, except this one. You may like it, but I don't think it represents his best work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy, was just adding my review to goodreads and was directed here :-) I'm highly interested in the evils of communism so did enjoy this very much, but I'm glad I read your review because it emphasizes my thoughts that those who aren't interested in the topic won't like the book even if the like Geary. It *is* highly political, though written without bias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola ~ I'm really glad that you enjoyed it. I wish I had, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Unfortunately for me, I discovered that Geary is not perfect. LOL :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!