Saturday, June 11, 2011

YUMMY

Author:  G. Neri
Genre:  YA Fiction GN, Standalone
Published:  2010
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format:  Book
Yearly Count:  46 


In 1994, on the Southside of Chicago, Shavon Dean (14) was accidentally killed by Robert "Yummy" Sandifer (11), while he was trying to gain recognition from his gang.  Neri (author) recreates the story based on public records, media reports and personal accounts.  The narrator and pieces to fill in the gaps were fabricated in order to tell the story.

This sad story was told very well through the graphic novel medium.  One main aspect of the book was questioning whether Yummy was a cold-blooded killer or a victim.  I believe the answer lies somewhere in-between the two.  Another focus was how current choices in one's life are vital to the success in the rest of their life.  Children and adults need to keep that in the forefront of their mind when making decisions.

*Recommended By:  Alisonwonderland from So Many Books So Little Time

7 comments:

  1. I think I remember when that happened. I need to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ It was during the Clinton years. He actually mentioned Yummy in a speech. It's a very short graphic novel, so you could even give it a quick read in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also recently read Yummy. I thought it was very well done - and certainly worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this post in the wee hours of the morning while up with the babe and wondered if it would be a good one for my brother? Think perhaps graphic novels might be more appealing (who am I kidding...nothing's appealing to a 15 year old!). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alisonwonderland ~ It was you!!! I couldn't remember where I originally saw it. I'll add that to my post. :)

    Trish ~ I think it would be great for him. It's short and intriguing. I've been thinking about your brother on and off all day. :) The only way to get him to read is by him choosing something that is of interest to HIM! And, it has to hit him at the right time. Going to the library and browsing can be so much fun. (well, for us bookworms anyway) I read that he likes the outdoors - what about Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. I don't remember if there's anything inappropriate in it though, but I loved it and laughed out loud. It also made me want to walk the Appalachian Trail. And, for fantasy adventures - The Red Wall Series by Brian Jacques. One of my sons LOVED that series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Graphic novel? sounds like one that needs to be read and reminds me a bit of Monster by Walter Dean Myers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci ~ Yes, but I liked this one better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!