Sunday, June 12, 2011

THE HUNTING WIND

Author: Steve Hamilton
Genre: Mystery, Alex McKnight Series #3
Published:  2001
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (good +)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count:  47



Alex McKnight, former cop, now reluctant PI is surprised when a teammate (pitcher) from his days as a ball player (catcher) walks into the local pub and asks him for help in finding a girl that he loved during the time they played ball together. 

This book was so very exciting regarding setting. I had so much fun hearing about all the Michigan places (Detroit Zoo, Boblo Island, Tiger Stadium, Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, Soo Locks, Lake Michigan, etc.), cities (Detroit, Dearborn, Farmington, Grand Rapids, and Cincinnati, Ohio) and expressways/streets (I-275, I-96, Telegraph and 7 Mile) all of which I am extremely familiar with. I loved it. So, that's an A+ for setting.

Alex McKnight? He's another A. I really like him. He has a tendency to say outloud what I'm thinking and is genuinely a nice guy. There's also his business partner that I like, a lot. He always makes me grin. And, a few other reappearing characters that are fine, too.

Now the plot/story line didn't follow the same trend. The plot was good, and I was interested in solving the mystery, but I didn't like the theatrics at the end. For a mellow plot to turn so big just seemed off. This series reminds me a lot of Coben's Myron Bolitar series. The same thing happens.  Great characters, but I'm not thrilled with the way in which the plots evolve.  I'm still looking forward to #4 though.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Do all of the books take place in Michigan..if so that would be cool? I love Myron Bolitar so this one just may make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci ~ YES! The Alex McKnight series takes place in Paradise, Michigan in the UP. He talks about Detroit often because that's where he was a cop. This particular book had mega Michigan mentioned! I loved it! He has also written 2 standalones, but I don't know the setting of either of them. AND, if you like Myron, I imagine you would like Alex. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!