Wednesday, July 06, 2011

TRIPTYCH

Author: Karin Slaughter
Genre: Thriller, Will Trent Series #1
Published:  2006
Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count:  56


Atlanta, Georgia has a killer with a particular MO, and detectives Michael Ormewood and Angie Polaski are assigned.  Once more bodies have been linked, the state intervenes with assistance from agent Will Trent.     

Oh, I liked this one, a lot! Will and Angie's personalities reflected their broken, tormented childhoods, so my heart went out to them, but they also made me a little uncomfortable. And, I wasn't always confident in my assessment of some of the other characters, so on occasion, their actions came as a surprise.

The plot was revealed slowly and a little awkwardly. At first I was confused and thought I missed something, but when it happened again, I became more intrigued. The story line was also complex, which made it feel psychologically deeper.

The only odd thing was that I didn't find Will to be the main attraction or one that I thought would be the character of choice for a series.  He has lots of backstory to pull from, but I wouldn't have chosen him.  However, being off kilter with the characters kept the suspense up and me not wanting to put the audiobook down.  I found more chores to do in order to keep listening.  Not a bad thing at all!

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:39 AM

    I loved Will from the moment I read TRIPTYCH. Not sure why he spoke to me so loudly, but he did. I was so excited when I saw that Karin Slaughter chose him as on of the main characters of her second series or even that it would be a series at all. I was afraid that TRIPTYCH would be a stand alone. I loved the second book in this series, FRACTURED, as well. Sometimes, Joy, your mind and my mind are so in sync about books. Not always, but often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! 4.5/5 and first in a series? Sounds really great and I'm off to check my library. I've heard of Karin Slaughter but haven't read any of her books.

    Hope your summer is going well. Big Brother starts tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay ~ Will brings so much peculiarity to the book/story line that he intrigues me. I've worked with many children with his disability (don't want to say for those that don't know), but never that extreme. However, I love the complexity it adds to his character. I have Fractured waiting for me on my iPod. :) I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I've got other authors I want to pursue this summer before going back to Slaughter.

    I think our like-minds are going to take a massive dive if you are like the rest of the reading world when you read that Essential Ingredients book. *big grin* As you know, it was a DNF for me.

    * Read my comment to Raidergirl 3. You're included. :)

    Raidergirl3 ~ This one is first in her Will Trent series in which there are only 2 at the moment. She has two other series: Grant County (6 books) and Georgia (3 books). Fallen (Georgia series) just came out. I've only read 2 of Grant County, but they were shockingly good, too. :)

    This book is odd, but in a good way. It's developed slowly, and I did a lot of wondering what was really going on. I loved the psychological aspect of it as much as the actual police procedural part. If you read it, I hope you love it.

    I said to Kay (above) that I had other authors I want to get to this summer - Nesbo is one of them! I think of you when I see his name or books. You have become one with Nesbo. LOL

    Oh yes, and Kay is united with Vicki Delany. :)

    Do you guys do that? It just happens for me, I certainly don't seek out who I can link you with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep reading so much about Slaughter's books, I just have to try one. This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bermudaonion ~ This series would be great to start now because there are only 2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raidergirl3 ~ I just remembered that I didn't respond to your Big Brother comment. I'm watching So You Think You Can Dance now and can't wait for BB!!! What kind of crazies are we going to meet this year?!? :)

    Did you get the opportunity to see Will and Kate? They came to your area, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. heh, can't wait for BB. My 8 year old daughter thinks she loves it too, so we have to PVR it and she'll watch in in the morning. We're Atlantic time here, so it's not on til 10 pm here tonight. Some old crazies are coming back in the house, but we don't know who yet.

    I didn't see Will and Kate - we were in Newfoundland for a basketball tournament, but their visit was HUGE here. I know some people who got to shake their hand. And my daughter was staying at a friend's house and their car drove by on the way to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:54 PM

    One more blogger loving Slaughter. I really need to read her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Raidergirl3 ~ Expect an email soon.

    Stacybuckeye ~ Oh yes! I've been a fan for years. I just can't keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adored Will and this book was fantastic and there hasn't been a bad one since!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staci ~ She's a great writer, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!