Wednesday, August 17, 2011

THE ELEGANCE OF THE HEDGEHOG

Author:  Muriel Barbery
Genre:  Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2008
Personal Rating:  2/5 (not enjoyable)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  68


A 54-year-old French woman, the concierge of an affluent building, and a precocious 12-year-old girl who lives in the building give their take on life in an alternating fashion.  

Oh my.  I decided to finally give this book another try due to the fact that the movie is coming out in a couple of days.  I did finish it, but it was not an enjoyable read (listen).  In the beginning, I had a very difficult time getting into it (slow and boring), but thankfully (at almost the half way point, though) another character was introduced and that changed the book for me.  It did become more interesting, and I had hope.  Unfortunately though, even with the added character and some thought-provoking philosophical topics, I just didn't enjoy it.  I will not be seeing the movie.

13 comments:

  1. Everyone says this one starts out slowly. Sorry it didn't end much better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ I agree with everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! Isn't it interesting that I wound up loving the audio after giving up on the printed version? I will admit that there were a few times in which I had to go back and listen to a track a second time. But I did love it and found myself on the verge of tears as I listened to the final chapter.

    I'm sorry it wasn't a hit with you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you didn't spend to much time listening! I don't know much about this one but I'm off to find the movie trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les ~ Ya know, I can understand why some people (like you!) may like this book. :) It's one that I needed to be in just the right mood in order to get its maximum value. Needless to say, I was not there.

    Trish ~ I believe it was 8 CDs. I got a bedroom carpet dry cleaned during a lot of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading the book, but I don't know if I'd enjoy listening to it as it doesn't have much dialogue or action.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harvee ~ Welcome! Not having much dialogue or action was definitely a negative. I wouldn't have made it through if I were reading it. The audio kept it moving and got me over the rough spots.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:59 PM

    I didn't think I was going to like it until Mr. Ozu showed up and then the end really helped me like the the book more. Still was iffy on it because the first half (at least) was very slow.
    I did like the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacybuckeye ~ It sounds like our experiences were similar, but for me the second half wasn't enough to overcome the first half.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate your honesty in the review. I'm amazed you finished it. If it starts slow, I just can't make myself keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BookGal ~ My motivation was that they made the book into a movie. There had to be something of value, right? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:11 AM

    I had this book but ended up giving it away after trying to read just the first chapter...I like the cover and the name though....very misleading but good marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Danielle ~ Hi there! I can understand why you gave it away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!