Friday, August 12, 2011

COPPER SUN

Author:  Sharon M. Draper
Genre:  YA Historical Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2006
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  67


From deep in Africa to a rice plantation in the Carolinas, we walk alongside Amari as she is captured, sold and abused by her owner.  With nothing but freedom on her mind, she takes steps to make it a reality.

I read Someone Knows My Name about 1.5 years ago and the beginning of these books (Africa to the United States) were extremely similar.  So, even though I thought it was incredibly interesting the first time through, I didn't the second time because it somewhat felt like a reread, and I'm not a re-reader.  However, when a shift in plot finally occurred and the story progressed, I liked where it took me.  I hadn't read anything about the Fort Mose before, so learning something new about this time frame was appreciated.  There wasn't a lot of information, per se, but I now have more knowledge about it than when I began.  In general, it was a well-written young-adult historical fiction story with a couple of likable main characters.

5 comments:

  1. I'm wondering about that plot shift. The book sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ It's a worthy read. I've only seen positive reviews about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of this in my office at school to process....sounds like one that I would enjoy. I've read a few others by Draper and liked her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:24 PM

    I'm not always up to date with YA but this one looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staci ~ I think it's a really good choice for YA.

    Stacybuckeye ~ It is! :) For a more in-depth adult version covering decades, I suggest Someone Knows My Name.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!