Wednesday, September 28, 2011

ALICE BLISS

Author: Laura Harrington
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2011
Personal Rating: 3.25/5 (just okay +)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count: 81


A father decides to enlist in the military and then is deployed to Iraq.  They all (wife and two daughters) go through their own turmoil brought on by his decision and his absence in the home. Alice, a high-schooler, takes us on her journey of dealing with an absent father.

I found this to be a pretty good true-to-life, coming-of-age novel and thought the narrator of the audiobook did a good job portraying Alice and the others.  However, she didn't help me connect with their circumstances.  I'm not exactly sure what I missed, but I didn't find it nearly as compelling as many other readers.

I am well aware that I am just not a general fiction reader at heart.  I like them on occasion, but too many in a row is not for me.  After listening to this book, I spent 1.5 hours listening to two different fiction books and could not get into either of them.  I gave up and headed straight for my mysteries.  Now, I'm very content with what I've chosen to listen to, and it feels like home.  In general, even if I only think the book is "good" in the long run, I know that I will enjoy my experience of its contents much more.  

6 comments:

  1. Sorry this didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ Thanks. It's just me. Others love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting - the first review of this book I've found after meeting the author last week and hearing her give a reading from this. I think I may still read the book (I haven't gotten into the audio swing yet), and I'll keep your comments in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Reads Too Much ~ EEK! Please don't take my word for it. EVERYBODY else seems to love this book. As I said in my post, general fiction is not my fav, so it takes a lot to please me. The good news is that it really reads true-to-life, which you can't go wrong there. :) I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it even more since you met the author. An encounter like that really adds to the reading experience. ENJOY and don't mind me! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just okay? Hmmmm....this one is still sitting or rather languishing in the TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci ~ It was almost "good." LOL I'm fairly certain you'll like it more than I did, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!