Friday, October 07, 2011

FAITH

Author: Jennifer Haigh
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2011
Personal Rating: 2.25/5 (not enjoyable +)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count:  83


Father Art McGann's reputation has been tarnished. Each of his family members try to understand and absorb what truly happened. His sister tells the story.

Argh.  This was difficult to get through and not because of the actual story line, but the pure boring nature of it. I wanted to give up throughout the first 2/3. I held on because of the ratings.  The "good" part must be coming soon, I kept reminding myself.  Finally it became somewhat interesting, but not enough to save the book as a whole. Also, I didn't like how it was told - at all. I need more interaction and dialog. The talking at me was torture. I don't understand the draw and high praise it has received, but all the power to those that have loved it. It should have been a DNF for me.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow well I always thinks it's good to hear all opinions of a book and this one has definitely gotten a lot of praise. I'll be keeping your thoughts in mind and not feel so badly like I have to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ Thanks. Wish I did, though.

    Jenny ~ I can't say if a more exciting book would have better fit my mood at the time, but it is what it is. I was bored. I hope you enjoy it like the rest of the blogosphere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not something I'd usually pick to read, but I recall seeing many good reviews. Good to hear a different perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christa @ mental foodie ~ LOL Yeah, mine's different all right. :) If you read it, I hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely ever give up on books but I've noticed that I don't have any qualms with giving up on an audiobook. Next time listen to your instincts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trish ~ Ahhh, I know! Those pesky thoughts of the good stuff is coming and everybody loves this book sometimes are stronger than my instincts. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! That's a bummer because I Loved this one so much! I feel a bit guilty knowing that you hated it and I praised it so much....but, that's what makes sharing our thoughts so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Staci ~ It is incredibly interesting. There are just so many factors that go into one's experience. I prefer to be on the same page as you, but it happens to the best of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no. I have the ARC and was all set to toss it in the discard bag after reading your review, but then I read Staci's comment!! Now I don't know whose opinion to trust! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Les ~ You can trust that both of us had a different experience with it. I'd prefer you to go down Staci's path, though. :) It just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!