Saturday, October 08, 2011

BURNED

Author:  Ellen Hopkins 
Genre:  YA Fiction, Burned Series #1
Published:  2006
Personal Rating:  3/5 (just okay)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  84


Pattyn Von Stratten is one of seven girls who is being raised in a Mormon home. Her curiosity begins to blossom regarding the opposite s*x, and she questions the religion she has lived and breathed for sixteen years.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. The coming-of-age aspect felt honest and real, and in light of anything can happen behind closed doors, Pattyn's family seemed realistic, as well.  Now, the plot worked, but what disturbed me most was the ending - especially as a young adult book. It was not a good message and left very little hope. Does a book have to end all happy?  Of course not, but this just left me feeling a little blah and disappointed, so "just okay" is what this book gets.

6 comments:

  1. Now I'm wondering what happened at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ Nothing encouraging. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title caught my attention as I just got a thriller with the same title written by a Scandinavian. Not the same book and printed in a different country, so..it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harvee ~ A thriller with the title Burned sounds like it has promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one a lot, but having said that i just finished her adult book Triangles and wasn't impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci ~ It feels good to not have to add another book on the TBR list. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!