Friday, February 10, 2012

SAVING JUNE

Author:  Hannah Harrington
Genre:  YA Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2011
Personal Rating:  2.75/5 (eh +)
Format:  eBook
Yearly Count:  11



From NetGalley:

If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.

When Harper Scott’s older sister, June, takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split up her sister’s ashes, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She'll steal the urn and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going—California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He's a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession…and an unknown connection to June. So when he insists on joining them, Harper's just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanor and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs. Except...Jake's keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper's life upside down—again.

I, unfortunately, did not connect with Harper or the plot in general.  Many scenes seemed disjointed or randomly thrown in, so it just didn't flow for me.  I do remember connecting music to everything in my life when I was a teenager, so that thread seemed realistic, but I'm sad to say that I just didn't enjoy it in this book.    

The author made a statement in the Acknowledgements about her 5th grade teacher encouraging her in class.  I loved reading that and hope the teacher is aware of the recognition and appreciation.  Keep pursuing your dreams, Hannah.





My thanks go to Harlequin and NetGalley for sending me this eGalley.

2 comments:

  1. I have this one on my Kindle....too bad that it was disappointing. Like you I could do a soundtrack of music that would characterize the ups and downs of my teen years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci ~ I appear to be in the minority, so don't mind me. :) It's interesting, now instead of music, I remember books.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!