Tuesday, February 21, 2012

THE WORLD AROUND US (1 of 13)

Author: John Michael Cummings
Genre: Short Story Collection
Published: Ugly to Start With, 2011
Personal Rating: 3.25/5 (just okay +)
Format: eBook
(ss) Yearly Count: 1


Picturesque West Virginia, in the 1970s, is the home of Jason Stevens who has dreams of becoming an artist.  On their way home from town, Jason spots a local artist walking along the road and persuades his mother to stop to give him a ride.  A conversation ensues.

I was drawn into this story immediately.  The language was very real, and I felt like I was there.  The problem was it didn't go anywhere.  It had an ending, but it needed more oomph.  I'm not sure what I was supposed to take away and hope the rest of the stories in this collection of connected stories will fill the void.


2 comments:

  1. I hope that the other stories make this a great collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci ~ It's really odd, but I've read 6 now and I'm not thrilled with any of them, but I'm finding myself thinking about Jason when I'm not reading. The writing has been really, really good, but the topics have been really, really gloomy.

      Btw - Did you know that when you reply to comments on your blog, that we are unable to identify who your reply is going to?

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!