Friday, June 20, 2014

THE STORIED LIFE OF A. J. FIKRY

Author:  Gabrielle Zevin
Genre:  Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2014
Personal Rating:  3.75/5 (good +)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/Scott Brick
Yearly Count:  45


Island Books is owned by a grumpy widower who discovers a lone 2-year-old in his stacks.

I enjoyed this story.  It had an array of topics that produced just as many emotions, and the book talk throughout was delightful.  However, I think it would lose a lot of its charm, if one doesn't know the books in which were mentioned.  Glad I listened to it, but it didn't touch me like it has others, which seems to be the story of my reading life.  :)  

Thoughts of Joy

10 comments:

  1. My sister adored this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ I think most people are having that same opinion. Hope you do, too.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:44 PM

    I often don't appreciatethe most esteemed books among book bloggers. I liked this one a lot, though. It was light and breezy, until the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye ~ I liked it, but it wasn't special to me.

      Delete
  3. This one was a case of "just the right time." I think if I had read it at another time (or after ALL the hype) I wouldn't have been as enamored. I'm glad you still enjoyed it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish ~ I LOVE when that happens. Right book at the right time. Ahhhh. :) I won't be buying this one for others though.

      Delete
  4. I gave this to my mom and can't wait for her to send it to me so I can see what all the fuss is about. She loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ Most people have loved it. And, I did like it, but just not as much as everyone else. Hope you LOVE it, too. :)

      Delete
  5. I just reviewed this one too - I was thinking 3.75 but bumped it up to 4 just because this one stands out a bit more than the other novels I'd read this year... but I agree, i'd read a lot of the books mentioned so it makes sense to me. I wish the ending is a bit more climatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christa ~ I understand your thoughts. That book connection held it together for me.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!