Tuesday, January 10, 2017

TRUST NO ONE

Author:  Paul Cleave
Genre:  Psychological Thriller, Standalone
Published:  2015
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/Paul Ansdell
Yearly Count:  2


From NetGalley:
Jerry Grey is known to most of the world by his crime writing pseudonym, Henry Cutter—a name that has been keeping readers at the edge of their seats for more than a decade. Recently diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s at the age of forty-nine, Jerry’s crime writing days are coming to an end. His twelve books tell stories of brutal murders committed by bad men, of a world out of balance, of victims finding the darkest forms of justice. As his dementia begins to break down the wall between his life and the lives of the characters he has created, Jerry confesses his worst secret: The stories are real. He knows this because he committed the crimes. Those close to him, including the nurses at the care home where he now lives, insist that it is all in his head, that his memory is being toyed with and manipulated by his unfortunate disease. But if that were true, then why are so many bad things happening? Why are people dying?

Hmmm.  I did not like a lot about this book, however, the strong desire to keep listening shifted the pendulum solidly into the positive realm.  :)  I was definitely hooked.

The switching of timeframes AND people was confusing in the very beginning.  After I thought that settled out in my mind, I continued to experience confusion from time to time.  :(  I had to pay close attention, and that wasn't enjoyable.  Also, the lack of complete closure - answers to all my questions - caused a bit of turmoil in me, amongst other unrealistic events.  After all of that, I oddly, still really liked the story.

Thoughts of Joy

My thanks go to Atria Books and NetGalley for providing me with this eGalley.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a page turner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this one based on your 4/5 rating alone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay! :) Happy New Year!

      Can't wait to read your thoughts! LOL

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a winner, although as much as I love a great audio, I think this one needs to be read in print. Sounds confusing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ HA! Good call! :) I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!