Tuesday, February 12, 2008

THE APPEAL

John Grisham
Genre: Legal/Political Thriller
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 21



The plot begins with a jury decision against a chemical company accused of contaminating a town's water supply, which caused cancer throughout its inhabitants. Knowing that the decision will be appealed to the Mississippi Supreme Court, the politics of filling a possible seat vacancy are in full force.

John Grisham's books are always a pleasurable read for me. As it goes, some are better than others for various reasons and this one was no different. The Appeal has an abundance of political influence in the plot, making it less appealing (no pun intended) to me, yet I found it to have great educational value. Other than that, it took me half the book to truly be interested, then to have my hopes dashed with the ending. Unfortunately, the conclusion may be reality. HOWEVER . . . I thought this was a work of fiction.

9 comments:

  1. I was considering this one, but now I think I'll pass. Thanks for a good and an honest review, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a flaky John Grisham fan - sometimes I like him, sometimes I don't. It just depends.

    BTW: I left you an award on my blog - blogginboutbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sure i'll read this one - although i do agree that some of Grisham's books are better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:43 AM

    You know I haven't read one of his in a long time. I hate to think that he is going on my "I used to read them but no more" list. Hmmm...we have a lot of people asking for this one at the library. Maybe I'll give him just one more chance!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Booklogged ~ I still liked it, but I'm not one for a lot of politics.

    Susan ~ I find his style to be a very comfortable, at home type of read, so I enjoy them all at some level.

    Thank you for the award! I added you on my post regarding Making My Day. I appreciate it, Susan. :)

    Alison ~ I haven't missed one yet. This was good; it just took me a while.

    Kay ~ Liking politics would be helpful in finding pleasure in this one. Even though I don't, I still liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only had the chance to read one novel by this author and I keep meaning to pick up some of his other books to read (my husband owns at least three). I have heard both positive and mediocre reviews of this one. I'm not rushing out to read it, but I may eventually get to it if it comes my way.

    Thanks for the review, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Literary Feline ~ If you like politics this would be a good one, otherwise, I'd choose an older one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use to love Grisham's books! The Firm and The client were among my favorites. It's been quite a number of years since he has written anything that I have found worthwhile. If your review would have been glowing, I would have considered reading this one. Thanks for saving me from more disapointment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teddy Rose ~ I think my thoughts are pretty much in line with Amazon and B&N reviewers.

    I enjoy his style, so I plan on reading whatever he publishes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!