Tuesday, April 29, 2008

THE TRUTH

Genre: Tween Fiction
Published: 2007
Personal Rating: 3/5




Excerpt from the back of the book:

Read the thoughts, secrets and stories of a young girl just leaving girlhood. "The Girl" writes all her deepest thoughts in her diary and gives every young reader a sense that they are not alone. What if you could have found a secret diary written by your mother or grandmother when she was a girl? Wouldn't you be curious to see how they really felt when they were young? Now you have a chance to really know how girls like you have felt generation to generation...

The Truth's premise is wise and appreciated, especially for girls that may have a difficult time talking honestly and openly with their mother. It is a great stepping stone for communication, however, I believe the beginning age range of 8 to be too young. "The Girl" is 10 years old and in the 5th grade and appears to be very observant and intuitive. In my experience (in this neck of the woods), most of the topics dealt with in the book relate better to girls in late elementary thru middle school.

Every tween has experienced or can sympathize with at least one of the emotions that "The Girl" shares in her diary. Also, the book can help parents connect with their daughters that don't remember the powerful feelings of growing up. I think this is a good book for both mothers and fathers to get a glimpse (or more) of this fictional girl's true thoughts and emotions and use it to understand and bond with their own daughter. Didn't boys want to know what was going on in a girl's head? Of course, they did. As adults - I don't know if they really want to know, but they still wonder. :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice review. I enjoyed both the adult and girl's versions of this book. They reminded me of how fearless I used to be.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us know about this book - I think I need it! I recently tried to connect with a 'tween' and although I think I remember all the emotions clearly, it was obvious that I did not!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for taking the time to do such a thoughtful review of my book, The Truth (I'm a girl, I'm smart and I know everything). All my best, Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl ~ I'm glad you enjoyed both versions and that they reminded you of your youth.

    Joanna ~ They are quite a unique group, aren't they? :)

    Dr. Holstein ~ You're welcome. By the way, I really like the idea of "positive psychology". My best to you as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!