Thursday, August 21, 2008

TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY: In Search of America

Author:  John Steinbeck
Genre:  Classic Travelogue
Published:  1962
Personal Rating:  3/5
Yearly Count:  110 



At the age of 58, John Steinbeck realized that he had spent much of his career writing about the United States . . .  without seeing it.  He felt it was time to explore America first hand, so he packed up a camper truck and made a three month trek around the outskirts of the country. Seeing the land and the people of America taught Steinbeck much, but not necessarily what he had expected.  And, who's Charley?  Charley is Steinbeck's companion, a French standard poodle.

I loved Of Mice and Men, and was disappointed to find nothing special in this travelogue. Steinbeck shared his days on the road with a subdued tone.  Yes, there were some highs and lows, but for the most part his experiences and thoughts about them seemed to be a bit mundane.  I was expecting more.

9 comments:

  1. I read this one in high school, and just adored it. It set off a wave of wanderlust in me, that, sad to say, I've never accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleanor ~ I already know that I'm in the minority on this one. I'd like not to be, but it is what it is. I'm still glad I read/listened to it, though.

    When I read/listened to A Walk in the Woods (Bryson), I felt the trail-lust (still do), so I understand where you're coming from. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Travels with Charley, and I think I liked it for all the reasons you didn't! I agree, not the most exciting travelogue, but I enjoyed its gentleness. I've also read The Grapes of Wrath, but I haven't read Of Mice and Men - I'll have to add that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you didn't quite love this one Joy. I haven't read it. My favorite of Steinbeck's remains East of Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charley ~ Isn't that funny. This is a book that I needed to be in a mellow mood to enjoy. If I'm always waiting for "something to happen" and nothing does . . . I get disappointed. Grapes of Wrath is on my list!

    Dar ~ East of Eden is on my list, too. I'm glad I have some more Steinbeck to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Joy,

    I found your blog this summer, when looking for some models for a school blog I'm creating for my students. You've given me a ton of ideas--thanks!

    One technical question--does Amazon have a way to load a cover picture on your blog with a link back to them, or do you code that in some way? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne B ~ I'm glad my blog has been helpful to you. Thank you for telling me. :)

    I link the book image back to Amazon through the HTML code. If you want, you can leave me your e-mail addy and I'll send you how to change the code. If you decide to do that, I will delete the comment as soon as I receive it and copy it down. (security purposes for you)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my only Steinbeck and I really enjoyed it--so now I really look forward to his other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh by the way, Lady. I'm sure you'll see it but I left a little something for you at my blog Here (hope that link works!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!