Wednesday, November 12, 2008

GRACE

Author:  Richard Paul Evans
Genre:  Fiction
Published:  2008
Personal Rating:  3/5
Yearly Count:  147



An older gentleman looks back at the time in his life when, at the age of 14, he meets a runaway girl.  He reflects on how the relationship has shaped the rest of his life.

I will not be surprised if most people like this more than I did.  What spoiled it for me was the fact that both the thoughts and dialog of Eric and Grace were way too mature for 14 year olds - making it an unrealistic read.  I did enjoy following the relationship and loved the final outcome, but overall it was just an okay book.

5 comments:

  1. I burned this to my computer, but now I might try to find another Christmas book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Paul Evans is a local author to me and I've met him on more than one occasion. He also paid for my mother's best friend when she was dying of breast cancer. So I have a soft spot for him. That said, his books remind me of Mitch Albom. The writing isn't spectacular but the premise of the book is. I already have this one on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some good things about this one. Either way I like Evans and have this on hold at the library. I'm curious to read it now and see what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3M ~ If you like his previous work, then you'll like this and it's short. :) It does have a story line that you will want to follow. It's just the age thing that annoyed me.

    Maw Books ~ I feel a similarity to Mitch Albom's books, too. I have read that Richard Paul Evans has done some wonderful things for many people and I'm sure he is an honorable man. However, that doesn't change my reaction to the book; I also know that actually meeting or knowing an author can change a reader's perspective. There were parts that I really thought were good, but I am such a realist (sometimes to my detriment) that the misrepresentation of 14 year olds bothered me. Like I said, I think others will really like this - including you. :)

    Dar ~ I think you'll like it. I did, too, but I just didn't think it was anything great. I've read some people cried, so if you are prone to tears, you may want to have some kleenex handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol-I am most definitely prone to tears.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!