Thursday, April 02, 2009

A COLD DAY IN PARADISE

Author: Steve Hamilton
Genre: Mystery, Series #1
Published: 1998
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 40



Alex McKnight, a Detroit cop turned PI, now living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, is encountering his past - the past that pushed him up north in the first place. After being shot three times and his partner being killed, McKnight successfully locked the assailant away for life. However, somehow he is killing people again and leaving letters for McKnight. But, how can this be? The murderer is in jail!

It's not very often that I have the opportunity to read a fictional series that is set in my home state, so that aspect was so much fun. I was either familiar with, visited or recognized every area McKnight traveled through. That certainly added to my enjoyment.

In general, I thought this had a very good plot. While reading there were a couple times that I didn't necessarily care for the style in which details were explained, but in the long run I realized the purpose. Also, I figured out a major part of the mystery early on, but not all of it, so there were still some surprises. I do want to learn more about McKnight. He's not a solid character, and there's a trait that I do not like, but I suppose that's what creates some curiosity. I'm definitely interested in seeking out the 2nd in this series, so for now, it worked.

10 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see if the flaws were inadvertant or the author meant them to keep the reader intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you were from Michigan! What part are you from? If I hold up my hand where would your hometown be? (LOL)

    I love reading books set in Michigan, but like you said it seems they are few and far between. I read one by Linda Howard that was set in the city that I live in and I thought that was so cool! I will have to check out Steve Hamilton. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading books set in places I've lived or am familiar with. It really is a bit of a different reading experience when you can see what a place really looks like, as opposed to the picture you invent from the author's words. This sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vickie ~ Everybody has flaws, so I guess he has to have one too.

    Kristie ~ I live in Southeastern Michigan. The only other books I can remember reading that were set in Michigan are:

    A Thousand Bones (Parrish)
    Matrimony (Henkins)
    Middlesex (Eugenides)

    It adds to the fun when you know that they are describing a real place.

    Debi ~ Exactly! I need to get to know Alex more, but my hopes are high that I will continue with this series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of this one, Joy. I will have to add it to my wish list. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Literary Feline ~ The is #1 of 7, in which the last being published in 2006. Supposedly, he has a few more recent standalones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in southeast Michigan as well! How funny... it is a small world after all! I did read the Parrish one, but haven't heard of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristie ~ Matrimony had a portion of the book in Ann Arbor and Middlesex had Detroit (during the riots) and Grosse Pointe (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, this looks like one I will have to check out, too, Joy! I know what you mean about enjoying reading books set in an area you know. That's one of the reasons I like Michael Koryta so much...his books are set in Cleveland. I just received a spy thriller that is also set in Cleveland; looking forward to reading that one as well. Thanks for this review though. I'm going to go add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen ~ I still have only read Michael Koryta's first book (years ago), but have had his second sitting on my TBR Shelf for quite some time now. There's just not enough time in a day! Regarding Cleveland, I've been there, so I have a tiny connection. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!