Monday, August 16, 2010

FALLOUT

Author: Ellen Hopkins
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction, Trilogy #3
Published: 2010
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 72


From the ARC cover:

Nineteen years after Kristina Snow met the monster - crack - her children Hunter, Autumn and Summer are reeling from the consequences of her decisions. A predisposition to addiction and a sense of emptiness where a mother's love should be leads all three down the road of their mother's notorious legacy. S*x, drugs, alcohol, abuse - there is more of Kristina in her children than they would ever like to believe. But when the thread that ties them together brings them face-to-face, they'll discover something powerful in each other and in themselves - the trust, the hope, the courage to begin to break the cycle.


Several topics remain in my mind since reading this: nature vs nurture, genetics, separation anxiety, addiction, family dynamics, attraction, acceptance, drugs, etc. Hours could be spent dissecting them all.

I was somewhat surprised at how Kristina turned out. Why I was, I'm not so sure. Maybe it was just good old-fashioned wishful thinking. Needless to say, my heart broke for the family as a whole. Yes, there were good/decent time frames, but in general every member was directly or indirectly damaged. We don't choose our families, so all we can do is the best we can with what we get. I think the Snow family made every attempt to do that.

I'm not a fan of the style in which Hopkins writes (poetic spurts?), and I had an adjustment period of remembering characters and connections, but other than that - I kept my nose in the book whenever time allowed.

I read this as a promotion with Staci from Life in the Thumb. Fallout was released on September 14.

6 comments:

  1. There really is a lot to discuss in this book. I was sad to see how little Kristina matured. I would have liked a larger chunk of time with all of the kids together and getting to know each other. I like how you describe her writing as 'poetic spurts' it fits. For some reason this style of writing just flows really easy for me.

    Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review this book Joy. I'm glad that you enjoyed it!! I was a bit worried about that!!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci ~ I was waiting for this book to come out and was so glad to see your offer. Thank YOU! :) I had the audiobook version of the first 2 in this trilogy, so I wasn't exposed to her writing style. It took me a little while to get into the flow.

    Just because I have only 5 best reads in 9 1/2 months really shouldn't have caused you any concern. Or the fact that I have never had so many 2 and 3 ratings in my life! What were you so worried about? *smirk*

    BTW - I rated the other 2 in the series 4/5 as well. Very good trilogy! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually listened to the first book, and have started the second in audio. I don't think I'd have gotten as much from the book because of her style. I think I'd have found myself skimming because I'd be turning pages so quickly.

    You might enjoy going back to listen. The reader is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky W. ~ I listened to the first 2 and thought they were very good. This one was a little more difficult to get into because I read it, but in the long run thought it was very good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:36 AM

    I put this on my list...sounds like a good novel with tons of material for an Intro Psychology class lecture!! I always trust your reviews.....I have not been disappointed yet in the books you have led me to. The Likeness was awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle ~ I think this series is truly very good. However, it is written in some sort of free verse making it a bit awkward to read at first. Once you get the hang of it - it works. I listened to the first 2, so didn't encounter that difficulty, but I read this one. Also, did you know that this trilogy is based on the author's family?!?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!