Friday, October 08, 2010

RUNNING THE BOOKS

Author:  Avi Steinberg
Genre:  Memoir, Standalone
Published:  2010
Personal Rating:  2.75/5 (better than eh)
Yearly Count:  90



Subtitle:  The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian



From the back of the ARC:


Avi Steinberg is stumped.  After defecting from yeshiva to Harvard, he has only a senior thesis essay on Bugs Bunny to show for his effort.  While his friends and classmates advance in the world, he remains stuck at crossroads, unable to meet the lofty expectations of his Orthodox Jewish upbringing.  And his romantic existence as a freelance obituary writer just isn't cutting it.  Seeking direction--and dental insurance--Steinberg takes a job as a librarian in a tough Boston prison.

 The prison library counter, his new post, attracts con men, minor prophets, ghosts and an assortment of quirky regulars searching for the perfect book and a connection to the outside world.  There's an amiable pimp who solicits Steinberg's help in writing a memoir.  An industrious gangster who dreams of hosting a cooking show titled Thug Sizzle.  A disgruntled officer who instigates a major feud over a Post-it note.  An ex-stripper who asks Steinberg to orchestrate a reunion with her estranged son, himself an inmate.  Over time, Steinberg is drawn into the accidental community of outcasts that has formed among his bookshelves--a drama he recounts with heartbreak and humor.

Running the Books is a trenchant personal exploration of prison culture and an entertaining tale of one young man's earnest attempt to find his place in the world while trying not to get fired in the process.


This was a long - a very long, sometimes dull read.  I believe Avi has so much to share about his experience as the prison librarian, but it just didn't come out right. I'm left with a flat feeling and many unanswered questions.  Blob.  That doesn't make me very happy.

However, I now know many of the inmates that Avi was in contact with and a little about his co-workers, but I don't know Avi much more than I did going into the book.  I actually had developed some concern for an inmate or two, so he told the story of their meetings well.  But, do I care about Avi?  Not really.  I didn't get the opportunity to know him, so how could I?







Thanks to Shelf Awareness and Random House for sending me this ARC.  Running the Books is scheduled to be released on October 19, 2010.
   

6 comments:

  1. I put this one on my to-read list recently. I'm sorry to hear that it was disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisonwonderland ~ I enjoyed some of it, but it was waaaay too long for no real purpose. If you read it, I hope you love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first glance this one sounds interesting, but thanks to your awesome and concise review I will not be reading this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci ~ It was missing something for me, but you might enjoy it more than I did. Amazon has a pretty good rating going for it, the last I saw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had high hopes for this book - sorry to see it's dull.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bermudaonion ~ Not all of it was dull; it was interesting meeting the inmates.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!