Saturday, February 26, 2011

Traveling



Yep!  I've been gone for almost a week visiting my oldest daughter in Bogota, Colombia.  I was able to finish listening to Unbroken (Hillenbrand) on the flight down, but other than that - hay lectura para mi (no reading for me).  We (my youngest daughter and I) had a layover in New York City on the way home, so we spent the day literally running up and down streets and avenues, and traveling underground trying to see as much as we could in 9 hours.  It was a fabulous trip all the way around!

Oh!  My personal watch for books, Nooks, Kindles, iPads, etc. in the hands of travelers was somewhat of a disappointment.  I didn't see anybody reading on Nooks and Kindles until the subway in New York, and they tied 3 and 3.  As for books, I only saw a handful of people reading anywhere.  Of the ones I saw, I could only see 2 book titles and both were books I read.  One was Room.  I don't remember the other at the moment.  I did see a Chinese girl reading a Chinese Manga book.  I found it very interesting to watch her read.

I'm now ready to get back into my reading routine.  I have a few loose ends to wrap up (already completed one by posting about Unbroken) and then I can spend some of today reading.  Woo.
     

12 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! The last time I flew, I saw lots of people reading and almost all were reading actual books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to have fun during your layover in NY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ Yep, it was an awesome trip. I was genuinely surprised to not see many readers. However, it was fun to see the eReaders on the subway.

    Staci ~ We had fun everywhere, but we were crazy busy in NYC. I so wanted to stop in to meet those that have sent me so many books over the years, but time did not allow. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to visit New York someday...it sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I'm hoping to get a Kindle at some point in the future although I truly believe that I will always prefer print books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great trip! So glad you had such a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to get to visit your daughter in Columbia. I'm headed to Mexico for vacation tomorrow and after reading this post I'll be watching for books and ereaders. I do know that last time we were there I saw a few ereaders on the beach. In fact I'm only taking 2 physical books and my nook. More room for shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great trip! And you can see a lot of NYC in 9 hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samantha.1020 ~ Our main trip was obviously to see my daughter, but NYC ended up being such an exciting bonus. Neither of us had ever been there, so it was a lot of fun exploring.

    I really like my Kindle, but my iPad is my preferred mode of reading - including print books.

    Darlene ~ Thanks. It was wonderful to be on a trip with my girls.

    SuziQoregon ~ It was a place in this world that I never thought I'd ever visit, but I'm really glad I did. I loved seeing what my daughter has been experiencing.

    I was sooo surprised at the lack of readers of any kind. I really expected to see gobs of them. I didn't take any physical books - just my iPad and Kindle.

    I hope you have a fantastic time in Mexico!


    Stacybuckeye ~ It was a special time. :) And even with the blind leading the blind, we were able to see a lot of NYC. Fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well aren't you the adventurous one! I've never been to South America, but my stepddaughter went on a school trip to Brazil many years ago. She had a fantastic time!

    I have been to NYC on three separate occasions and love that city. So much to see! So many fabulous restaurants and museums and shops. What fun for you and your daughter to spend the day there.

    I'm looking forward to two vacations this summer. Lots of flying = lots of reading time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les ~ It was a fantastic time!

    Flying and reading, what a great combo! What fun you have ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Joy! What a fabulous sounding trip! One of my favorite excursions was with my mom to see my sister in Argentina. I know that you and your daughters will share the memory for...well, forever.

    Interesting about the reading. I'm shocked actually!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trish ~ Ahhh yes, you can relate. :) It will definitely be a special memory for all of us. I wanted to go on a "girls trip" since they were in high school and it just never worked out. This trip fell into place without a glitch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!