Tuesday, February 28, 2023

February Reads



5.  The Night Before (Walker) ~ 3/5 (just okay), audiobook, NetGalley, psychological thriller

This was intriguing at first, but became mundane.  I was waiting for something, hoping to be surprised, but it never happened.  It was nothing special, just okay.  2-3-23


6.  The Flatshare (O'Leary) ~ 3.25/5 (just okay +), book, chick-lit

I enjoyed the dual POV and communication between the main characters.  I'm not so sure the plan would work in real life, but it was a cute idea for a book.  2-10-23


7.  Ballad for Sophie (Melo & Cavia) ~ 4.25/5 (very good +), book, graphic novel

This was a very cohesive, full story that captured my attention.  It reminded me of an old movie.  2-11-23


8.  Oona Out of Order (Montimore) ~ 2.25/5 (not enjoyable +), audiobook, bookclub, magical realism

The concept could have been done so much better.  The entire book had a negative overtone and some stuff didn't make sense.  I wasn't drawn to any of the characters, especially Oona.  2-16-23


9.  A Quiet Retreat (Modglin) ~ 3.25/5 (just okay +), audiobook, thriller

This book had more to it than I expected for a short thriller.  It was an enjoyable, quick listen.  2-18-23


DNF  Sloppy Firsts (McCafferty), audiobook, YA


10.  Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Riggs & Jean) ~ 1/5 (don't bother), book, graphic novel

Ugh.  Not for me.  2-20-23


11.  Saving Noah (Berry) ~ 3/5 (just okay), book, domestic thriller

I'm not sure how I feel about this book.  So many emotions and thoughts that I can't quite sort through to end up with a rating.  There were several errors in the book - annoying.  Wasn't expecting this type of read ... at all!  The writing was simplistic, as well as, very sad and depressing.  I think I had a sour look on my face during the major it.  I'm going middle of the road, because I was interested in reading it, but I really don't think I would recommend it to anyone.  I like thrillers that shock or surprise me, even with unpleasant plots - not make me feel sad and icky.  2-24-23


12.  Hello, Transcriber (Morrissey) ~ 2.75/5 (eh +), audiobook, NetGalley, romantic suspense 

While the title held a lot of promise, it did not deliver.  I was mostly bored and didn't care about any of the characters.  It was definitely heavier on the romance than a police investigation.  2-24-23


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!