Friday, July 21, 2006

"S" Title-Based A ~ Z Reads (2nd)

THE SUNDAY PHILOSOPHY CLUB
Alexander McCall Smith ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 3/5






This was my second attempt at listening to a McCall Smith book. My first was THE NO. 1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY. I gave this one a .5 higher rating than the other because I connected better with the main character, however, I still think both books were just 'okay'. I listened to this book during my fast-paced morning walks. For me, this style of writing was not conducive to the walks. I believe that if I were to read them or listen to them in a quiet peaceful environment, I would probably like them more. I really did enjoy the philosophy portion of the novel...that deeper outloud thinking, but outside of that I wasn't very impressed. With that said, I think I am going to give the McCall Smith books a rest for now. I have a tremendously long TBR List and a tall mountain of books that are calling my name.

*I was listening to this "S" book prior to beginning this blog, therefore it becomes the 2nd.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen that many people really like these books and I do like them I just don't quite understand the huge popularity. They are interesting to me but they are a bit slow. I also prefer the Isabel Dalhousie series over the African one. There's something about Scotland that really interests me. I'm not sure what it is about Scotland, but I also like the Hamish McBeth books by M.C. Beaton mostly because of the quirky characters living in the Scotland Highlands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim ~ I've read another one or two in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency since this post and like them more now, but they are still slow, quiet reads. I need to be in the right mood for them.

    Thanks for pointing out the ones you like best. I will look into them. :)

    I've only read two Beaton books with the character of Agatha Raisin. I will look into Hamish McBeth as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!