Thursday, July 27, 2006

"W" Title-Based A ~ Z Reads

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS
Sara Gruen
Personal Rating: 4.5/5






Have you ever wanted to run away with the circus? Not me, but I certainly experienced it through this book. And...WOW...what an experience it was! Not only did I feel like I was standing right there, but I could smell the odors, hear the voices, and actually taste the life of the traveling circus.

The only negative comment I have about WATER FOR ELEPHANTS are the x-rated scenes. A reader can get the picture without the explicit nature in which they were told. Putting that aside, I was a silent member of that traveling circus. Not only that, I must say that it was definitely enlightening to be in the mind of a 90 year old man. Or was it 93? :)

8 comments:

  1. I've already got it on my TBR list, but it's good to get a confirming recommendation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:45 PM

    Hi Joy!

    I can't wait till Water For Elephants comes in at the library now! I still find it hilarious that I thought I had "found" a new book no one had heard of only to find out you were 2 steps ahead of me :-)

    On Prizewinner I do believe all those events really happened and there are records to prove it. What a life, huh? I really enjoyed the book but it is a choc/vanilla world.

    I find that I often don't enjoy a book I read with the BLBC. Sometimes I need to read a book at my own pace and find if I read it in short spurts I can't get with the flow of a novel. And some novels aren't meant to be "analyzed" on a daily basis. Just my two cents worth.

    OK, keep the comments short and pithy, right? A challenge for me, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan ~ I agree about the over-analyzing that can happen in BLBC. However, I do like to read books that I normally would never pick up. With the short daily reads and the commitment to contribute, I have been able to find some new authors that I enjoy.

    As for PRIZEWINNER...reality can be stranger than fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Joy-the name is Grady...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did think that Jacob was so grouchy that he was on the endearing side. Ha ha! And yes, I definitely got the picture (stuck in my head permanently) of Barbara's act. Eeeks!

    Like I tell you all the time...we can't love em all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish ~ I'm not sure how Sara Gruen did it, but that scene is etched in my mind, too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. i finally read this fabulous book! (but i agree with you about the X-rated scenes.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alisonwonderland ~ I'm so glad you loved it. Hooray! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!