Friday, September 29, 2006

"S" Title-Based A ~ Z Reads (4th)

SUSANNAH'S GARDEN
Debbie Macomber ~ BLBC
Personal Rating: 1.5/5





Can you say..."soap opera"? Lame characters, pathetic plot, bland setting, etc. all blended together to create a senseless story is not something I want to experience again. It was just plain weak and ridiculous.

The first book I read by Macomber was THE CHRISTMAS BASKET and I endured the same agony. Being that this time I was going to read SUSANNAH’S GARDEN with a book club, I was hopeful to discover Macomber’s core passion behind her pen that I supposedly missed the first time. Unfortunately that was never to be found in this one either, so my opinion hasn't wavered.

I do enjoy a "light" read on occasion, but I don't want to read words just for the sake of exercising my eyes. I still want to be entertained or learn something; neither happened here. Macomber has an incredible following, so I don’t think she’ll miss me.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. I haven't read Macomber, yet, because I had a feeling she wasn't up my alley. Now I'm really glad I only paid a quarter each for the two Macomber books on my TBRs. Thanks for telling it as you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. Believe it or not, I really tried to not sound so negative. Unfortunately the more I tried not to, the more disgusted I became. So I decided just to go ahead and publish what I had before it really got ugly. (grimace)

    BTW...I was among about 7 others that virtually had the same opinion. It was comforting to not be alone in my madness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy - I got the impression that even those in the group who liked Macomber felt that this was a lame effort.

    She's definitely on my light read / 'brain vacation' list. I do enjoy her Cedar Cove series.

    I'm glad to see you do enjoy a light read 'on occasion' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Between Friends and The Shop on Blossom Street. Definitely brain candy, but these two weren't too bad. I need to go back and re-read my reviews, though. I might be a little too generous here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the warning. I've seen Macomber's books at the library and would probably of picked one up eventually. Now I won't bother. I like to read for enjoyment not for a waste of time. Sorry you had to waste your time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy, I found my review. Since it's short, I'll post it here. It's for The Shop on Blossom Street. Rating: C (3/5 Fair) I'd heard good things about this book from several on-line group buddies and finally got around to reading it. Nothing special. Simplistic writing. I usually feel ho-hum about "fluff" reads until I get further into the narrative, but this is easily forgettable and not one I'd care to own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzi ~ I'm glad you have enjoyed her...actually I wish I did too, but I don't think it's going to happen right now.

    Les ~ Thanks for looking that up. I was very curious as to what you wrote. I'm sure some are better than others, but like Booklogged said...I don't think I want to take the chance of "wasting my time" again when there are so many good books out there. And many from which I have gotten off of all the blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!