Friday, December 08, 2006

"D" Author-Based A ~ Z Reads

THE TALE OF DESPEREAUX
Kate DiCamillo
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Age: 9 - 12




Okay...I am a reader who doesn't like personification and fairy tales. So, this one actually rates very high under those circumstances. I did enjoy the fast-paced twists and turns of the plot, and I have to admit, I was curious as to what was going to happen next.

As a teacher, this book has great potential. There are many teachable moments and avenues to pursue regarding her style of writing and analogies. It's definitely a keeper for a classroom offering adventure, personable text, and lessons to be learned, but don't take my word for it. Reader, you need to pick it up and discover The Tale of Despereaux for yourself.

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Joy, you obviously did not like this book as much as I did. That happens, doesn't it. Don't you just love the vision of that brave, little mouse with his sewing needle defending what he loved? It is a great book to be read to students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering if perhaps I could interest in my 11-year old in this one - will check out a library copy. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a hit thats for sure. And a great thoughtful stacking stuffer for the old and young.

    its great that your a teacher and reading new books that can spike the interest. My proff read for 20 years the same book - Sarah Plain and Tall. (My older sibling had her). It was a wonderful read but god! there are so many books you can diversify just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Booklogged ~ Well, personally no. :) However, if I read it to a class I would enjoy watching their excitement.

    Lotus ~ Let me know what your 11 yr old thinks of it.

    Nessie ~ Is that you standing on your head? :)

    You are so right. There are numerous books to share and learn from out there. How absolutely boring it would be to read the same book for 20 years. There are some teachers like that though. They won't budge for anything! Time to retire I would say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy,

    I absolutely loved this book! It really surprises me that it didn't excite you, I guess because of how nicely those little lessons are inserted into the text (since you're a teacher!). But your view also shows how difficult it is to predict whether someone you know will like the same titles you do. I think it's lovely that we don't all feel the same; life would be boring if humans weren't so unique in their tastes, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bookfool ~ The genre itself doesn't appeal to me, so I knew it wasn't going to be a "5", but I gave it a shot. I do believe there are some good qualities to it, though. And oh yes...I love diversity!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!